How can I transfer old apps on to iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cleo4lyfe, Nov 22, 2009.

1. cleo4lyfe macrumors newbie

I have a bunch of apps on my iPhone 3G and I can't transfer any of them on my new iPhone 3GS. The apps don't even appear in iTunes. I would really prefer not to have to download them all again. Any advice? Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What kind of apps? Were they installed using Cydia or Icy? If they're not in iTunes, how did they come to be on your phone?

3. cleo4lyfe thread starter macrumors newbie

I got all the apps directly on the phone through the App Store - apps like Stanza, Kindle, Yelp, NYTimes, Pandora, Weatherbug. I especially don't want to have to re-upload Stanza because I'm in the middle of reading some books on it.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sync your current iPhone to iTunes. When you do this, it should copy all the apps on it into iTunes for you, including their saved date (e.g., where you are in the book). Then after you do that, you just sync the new iPhone....

5. macsimo macrumors newbie

I may be incorrect, but have synced your iPhone 3G with your computer? The apps will download to iTunes. Then sync your new iPhone 3Gs to your computer and the apps will be transferred to your new iPhone 3Gs. The books will be transferred, but bookmarks may not transfer. Also, once you have downloaded the apps, either paid or free, you will not have to pay for them again, because they are tied to your iTunes account. You could take your new iPhone 3Gs, go to the app store on your new iPhone 3Gs and download the apps again for free using your original iTunes account or download them again to your computer through iTunes.

6. cleo4lyfe thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that before but I didn't realize I have to go into apps and manually check all the apps I want. Now it's working. Thx!

7. yiannos9 macrumors member

what if you want to tranfer cydia apps from iphone 3g to iphone 3gs?
    how do you do that?