How can I transfer programs from my 10.7.5 computer to my new MBP?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by oxband, May 26, 2014.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I just bought a refurbished MBP. I imagine it'll be coming with 10.9 installed.

I'm using a computer with 10.7.5. By now, I have so many applications on it, including some that I bought years ago like FCP7 that I don't have the disks for anymore, and I want to bring those programs over to my new computer.

So, how can I transfer applications from an older OS X to 10.9?

2. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

The big problem you will face is power PC programs will not run on Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks. You will be required to install parallels desktop and then snow leopard server if you must run those apps.

3. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

I think 10.75--Lion--was not so long ago--was the first OS to break with Power PC and Rosetta, so many of those apps will work just fine under Mavericks. For example, Office 2008, Quicken 2007 (tweaked for Intel), CS5.5, Bias Peak Pro were all apps I ran under Lion and worked fine in Mavericks without updates (other than downloading java).

I'd use the migration app on your new Mac to selectively transfer the apps, bookmarks, address books, music, etc. Don't let everything fly in, so use the options to taste. You didn't mention what computer you had but at the worse you'd have to pull the drive and install in a USB enclosure and perform the migration. I did that last fall since my Mac Pro processor was fried. If you're lucky you can use targeted disk mode to connect the two Macs and perform the transfer.

Most of the apps I transferred didn't require input of activation codes. However, all the pro audio apps made me do it again so you may still need install codes.

4. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

I'm dyslexic and saw that as 10.5.7 lol. Sorry. Only reading it now it is clearly 10.7.5 which is Lion.