Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Why in the hell can’t I transfer sound on my HomePod Mini when placing a video FaceTime call! Is it jus me or is it just not possible? :mad:

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Is it simply not possible or is there a trick here? I find it so annoying that when placing video FaceTime calls I cannot have the video on my iPhone or iPad and the sound on my HomePod!!!

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Anyone please? Am I the only wondering or ignorant about this? Is that fixed in iOS15?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Anyone please? Am I the only wondering or ignorant about this? Is that fixed in iOS15?
I looked on the FaceTime screen when you first posted this and didn’t see the option in there but I just thought about something. If you go to the AirPlay platter in Control Center, can you select a HomePod in the iPhone menu from there? I’m not home so can’t test.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
I looked on the FaceTime screen when you first posted this and didn’t see the option in there but I just thought about something. If you go to the AirPlay platter in Control Center, can you select a HomePod in the iPhone menu from there? I’m not home so can’t test.
I checked but with airplay I could not transfer FaceTime audio to my HomePod mini. If I hit play it plays music.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I checked but with airplay I could not transfer FaceTime audio to my HomePod mini. If I hit play it plays music.
Yeah sorry, I just tried using the AirPlay platter in Control Center. Unfortunately, I just get a spinning circle. Sorry, was worth a shot but doesn’t look like this is possible. Hopefully iOS15 with all the FaceTime upgrades. There’s a lot of features they don’t even mention at the Keynote.

Reactions: AL2TEACH

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Lolo, Apple now depends on people on YouTube for that stuff and I guess that's pretty good all the way around.
Could you imagine how long that Keynote would be if they went over every single feature? Lol. EverythingApplePro (Filip) recently did one of his famous “Features and Changes video.” He found 500 in Beta 1 alone and that’s just for iOS.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Why in the hell can’t I transfer sound on my HomePod Mini when placing a video FaceTime call! Is it jus me or is it just not possible? :mad:
It isn't currently possible to transfer the voice/sound from FaceTime to a HomePod or HomePod mini.

Last edited:

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Actually, new update!!

You CAN transfer the audio output to a HomePod. As of Mac OS 11.4 and FaceTime for Mac 5.0, you can now choose 'AirPlay' in the Output settings under Video. This then sends the sound to your HomePod mini. I tried it and it works.

However, the output sound is delayed compared to the video. I also had complaints of the other person receiving a lot of echo as the delayed sound from the HomePod is played back through the webcam microphone. So as of now, it's far better to have the sound output from the Mac speakers.

Reactions: Itinj24

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Actually, new update!!

You CAN transfer the audio output to a HomePod. As of Mac OS 11.4 and FaceTime for Mac 5.0, you can now choose 'AirPlay' in the Output settings under Video. This then sends the sound to your HomePod mini. I tried it and it works.

However, the output sound is delayed compared to the video. I also had complaints of the other person receiving a lot of echo as the delayed sound from the HomePod is played back through the webcam microphone. So as of now, it's far better to have the sound output from the Mac speakers.
Didn’t know that as I do FaceTime 100% of the time from an iOS device. And as far as I can tell it is not possible. Hopefully iOS 15 will unlock that feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.