How can I trim movies?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DarkHeraldMage, Dec 21, 2007.

1. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I have a number of mp4 files that I've used GetTube to pull from YouTube, the majority of which are all music videos done by amateurs that I just happen to like. The problem is, the main guy I download videos from (Jay Brannan [amazing!]) likes to talk a lot at the beginning of his videos. I don't want all this saved in the videos I import into iTunes. Can anyone point me to an app that allows me to easily trim off parts of the movie from both beginning and end? I don't even know if it's possible, but if it is I'm sure it's fairly complicated. lol Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

3. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

I use iMovie HD (available as a free download from the Apple site) to trim YouTube videos. After using GetTube just import the video in to iMovie and from there it's really simple to trim.

4. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I know this is going to show how little I use iMovie, but could you provide basic steps? I spent an hour last week trying to figure out how to overlay sound on a movie. :eek:

5. numlock macrumors 68000

If its just basic trimming and no editing then quicktime pro/mpegstreamclip can do that for you without the need to import and export

Also if its just the length of the clips instead of the extra space this unwanted material takes you could also import them into itunes and change the start and end time for the clips. When played in itunes and the iphone (and im assuming other devices that sync with itunes) it will remember those settings

6. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Thank you SO much for this. I do have QuickTime pro and all it took was looking in the settings to figure out how to do it the way I need. Thanks. Now to figure out if I can export directly as mp4 or if I'll have to convert using VisualHub each time.

7. numlock macrumors 68000

you should be able to just save the file. Quicktime dosent change the codec just the container which it changes to .mov when the file is saved.

mpeg streamclip though allows you save an mp4 file as a mov or keep mp4

8. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

When you save in QuickTime it saves as .mov, but you can export to .mp4 and that's all I need. I spent quite a bit of time this weekend trimming up music videos. Thanks again!