How can I turn an ooooold iPod Touch into a bump battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by motulist, Dec 27, 2015.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I have an iPod Touch 2nd generation that I want to turn into a bump battery for my iPhone 5s. How can I do it?

p.s. Please don't give me other suggestions about whatI can do with this device, I've got a zillion old iDevices that are already being used in all the alternate usage scenarios that're possible, and this Touch is ancient, can only run up to iOS 4.2, has only 8 GB storage, has a very cracked screen, etc. etc. It really has no other good use to me besides as a bump battery.

2. rzc16512 macrumors regular

Not exactly sure what a bump battery is but I assume it's used to charge another device. If that's the case it is in no way possible.

3. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'm also not even sure I see the point, Not when an Anker 3350mAh USB battery pack is $9.99 on Amazon.

OP, I'd just drop it off at your local electronics recycling center. It sounds like that thing is DONE.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. gman36 macrumors regular

Pull out the battery and wire it to a female usb type A connector, follow the standards for usb for your wiring.

6. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

No offense, but this just seems like a bad idea. Your iPod has, at best, an 800mAh battery. After 5 years, it's probably half that. The removal or access process looks heinous, and then you'd have to figure out some way to connect the batteries without shorting anything out. As well as charging properly, and attaching things without resorting to duct taping the devices together.

C

7. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Except the battery is 3.7V, and the phone will be expecting 5V over USB.

C

8. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

Won't that just result in a trickle charge rather than not working at all? I seem to recall charging using off-brand chargers that worked perfectly, just slowly.

9. gman36 macrumors regular

These batteries should peak around 4.2V at a full charge. Back in the day we used to use large single cell RC car batteries to build our own external battery packs.

10. ffreyonn macrumors newbie