How Can I Turn Off My iPhone Data Completely?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HappyDude20, Jan 2, 2017.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

hi happy new year,

So I have Verizon and about 30gbs of data that is shared with 4 other iPhones. My iPhone alone has used close to 25gbs while the rest of the family has used about 2gbs.

The billing cycle month ends in one week and wanted to turn off the data on only my iPhone for the next week so we don't go over.

How can I do this? Obviously I still need to receive calls and messages.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Silly question. I think I can safely assume turning off my data will prevent me from sending any kind of iMessage, correct?

Or does iMessage still except when sending media?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct. You need data to send and receive iMessage.
    You will need wifi or carrier data to do anything that needs data.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Don't you have Safety Mode available for free on your data plan? With Safety Mode, Verizon just caps your speed when you go over the allotted GB instead of billing you for overage.

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Yes I do; however have you ever used safety mode with Verizon? It is horrendously slow. The MacRumors front page would take at least 3-5 minutes to fully load.

128kbs is absurdly low

7. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Do you know for sure if your line actually used 25 GB?

8. rui no onna, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017

rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

It's slow but it would still enable you to use iMessage, etc. For me, throttled speeds for a short period of time is still a step up from completely disabling cellular data.

Personally, I'm more concerned with not paying overage. Safety mode works well enough for that. I have peace of mind that I can use up all my allotted GBs for the month and not be faced with a massive bill. When I'm pretty close to the monthly limit (like within 2GB), I just stop all the audio/video streaming and app downloads while on LTE and I've never once gone over.

9. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

Hey it could be worse. Throttling you to 32kbs like here in Germany ;)

Edit: oh its actually 16 kbs on my plan now

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you on that.
    I hate the throttling speeds that carriers reduce it down to an unusable connection.
    It should be at least 0.5 to 1mbps per second.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps it might be OK with the user, but perhaps not the other people who are sharing the data and haven't used much of it and would now have to be throttled because of that user using up (much of) the rest or the raining data too.

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Lol, I pay for the entire cellphone bill so that hasn't been of concern for us. As I mentioned though, with ~1-2GB remaining, as long as one skips bandwidth hogging activities, one would probably be fine. I doubt other plan members will suddenly increase their usage from 2GB total for 3 weeks to the same amount in just one week unless there's a trip or special event or something.

There are folks who get by on 1-2GB per month. Getting by on the same amount in just a week isn't exceedingly difficult.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Hard to say one way or another, simply relating it all to what was mentioned in the OP and what might be in play in relation to it all.

14. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If whoever you are sending it too also have iPhone, I believe it will go through WIFI.

15. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Yes I've personally used 25 gbs so far. I use so much data I've been considering walking to my local Apple Store and just posting up for an hour or two to get some work done considering their speed in store is 30mbps