How can I uninstall Pages 5.2 update?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diaspar, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Diaspar macrumors newbie

Diaspar

I'm using an iMac with Mavericks (an upgrade I still regret). And I had everything working fine until I was forced to accept a Pages 5.2 upgrade.

I hated Pages 5.0 when I upgraded to Mavericks, so I followed someone's advice re: making Pages 4.3 the default. I put all the new iWorks apps in a folder on an external HD and kept Pages 4.3 on the main HD. That kept me from being nagged by the App Store and all documents would open in Pages 4.3.

The other day I tried to open a document and a little box popped up saying there was a Pages update available. There was no way to close the box and the only option was to click "OK". Now Pages 5.2 is the default and I can only open documents in 4.3 by using the "open with" option, which is a pain. It also opens a separate version of 4.3 (as opposed to the one in my dock).

Someone advised using "get info" on a document created with Pages 4.3 and setting 4.3 as the default by selecting it under "open with" in the drop-down menu and then ticking "change all". I've tried that several times but it doesn't accept my change - it just resets Pages 5.2 in the drop-down menu.

Is there any way of uninstalling this update so Pages 4.3 is my default again? I can't find Pages 5.2 anywhere on my main HD so I can't trash it or shove it onto the external HD where 5.0 lives.

2. FluffyBunny macrumors newbie

It is pretty random which version of Pages OS X opens, I think it is just the first one it finds.

The reason is all Pages documents have the same extension .pages even though there are too many incompatible formats to keep track of.

You should have been able to just dismiss the upgrade notice, you probably didn't notice the specific wording.

Use Spotlight to search for "Pages".

Pages 5.2 should be in your Applications folder and Pages '09 4.3 should be in your Applications/iWork folder. Just trash Pages 5.2 when you find it but make sure you export any new documents back to Pages '09 format first.

3. Thrash911, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015

Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

A way to locate 5.2, is right-clicking on the Pages icon in the dock (when it is 5.2 that is opened), and choose 'Options' -> 'Show in Finder'.

And perhaps Little Snitch can block any further updates. Just an option.

My 2 cents. Good luck. ;)

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Have you got a TM backup with the previous version of Pages? If so, delete 5.2 and restore the older version from the backup.

5. FluffyBunny macrumors newbie

You can turn the Update nag off in System Preferences > App Store

6. Diaspar thread starter macrumors newbie

Diaspar

Thanks, guys. There was no Pages 5.2 in my Applications folder. For whatever reason, my computer was using the one on the external HD. So I've trashed it and now 4.3 seems to be opening automatically when I double-click documents.

I had turned off app update notifications ages ago so I don't know why this one even popped up. Very frustrating! If it happens again I'll see if there is any way to avoid it.

I'm a fairly recent Windows refugee and for 3 years Apple seemed like all people said it was. But this past year has really tried my patience. :( I would never go back to the hell that was Windows but I wish Apple would stop trying to fix what ain't broke. :rolleyes:

7. FluffyBunny macrumors newbie

Apple has discovered something remarkable.

If it makes crappy products that are harder to use and mystify their newbie users endlessly, they actually seem to go for it in a big way!

Maybe they keep buying new models and software in the vain hope of leaving their problems behind.

Just like Windows users!