Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I told you above, you have to wait for a tool to create a custom 6.1 ipsw for your 3GS or else you will lose your unlock.

He can use sn0wbreeze to make a custom IPSW or use redsn0w to restore his phone and keep his current baseband.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Good info, so redsnow has been updated to create custom 6.1ipsw's?
About snowbreeze I dont keep up with its releases but glad there's another option.
But is ultrasnow compatible yet for ios 6.1?

resn0w's magic "no update needed" feature enables it to process 3Gs and 4 6.X IPSW's. I'm the same with sn0wbreeze. I find it to be buggy, slow, and poorly made. But it works for a few things. Quite sad Pwnagetool hasn't been updated in over a year.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
resn0w's magic "no update needed" feature enables it to process 3Gs and 4 6.X IPSW's. I'm the same with sn0wbreeze. I find it to be buggy, slow, and poorly made. But it works for a few things. Quite sad Pwnagetool hasn't been updated in over a year.

Where to start?

Sn0wbreeze was truly awful when it was first released, a lot of people thought I had it in for iH8sn0w - I didn't.

I dont bu i i do have it in for crap pgrams that cause problems. The early versions of SB were truly awful but he learned .

At the first jailbreakcon posix ninja
Could not afford the flights so ih8 won the auction so posix could attend - he could not himself so he gave his ticket to me.do people really think I would have accepted if I had a problem with him?
I will try anew he sort problems with Sn0wbreeze as well.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
Cool, so this site says that it is JBable and Unlockable however there's no way to update to iOS6 without upgrading the baseband.

Just checked -iH8sn0w says S0wbreeze Will work

MN has confirmed RS will also work.

IH8 has also confirmed 05.13.14 works fine on his 3GS and and does not see a pollen with Other Bbs which I was concerned about.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Very nice, I just noticed that redsnow feature.
And you're right about snowbreeze, I would also avoid it at all costs.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
So, I can use redsn0w to make a custom 6.1 ipsw without the baseband? I tried to use redsn0w a few days ago and it rather made a direct jailbreak like evasi0n than the good old custom ipsw's.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So, I can use redsn0w to make a custom 6.1 ipsw without the baseband? I tried to use redsn0w a few days ago and it rather made a direct jailbreak like evasi0n than the good old custom ipsw's.

You gotta look in the settings/option.
There's tons of features on redsnow now.
Go to extras/custom ipsw and then select the 6.1 ipsw for the 3GS.
Then it will ask you if you want to restore to that version using baseband upgrade protection. Select yes and you're good.
Redsnow will prevent the baseband from being updated but you will need to run recovery fix with redsnow again once its done to get out of the recovery loop caused by the mismatched firmware/baseband combo.
kapish?:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.