Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nimits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Thessaloniki Greece
how can i update the firmware of my ssd? (ocz vertex 3)
I want to replace my ocz 120 gb with an intel 520 240gb is it a good option?
Thank you in advance

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
how can i update the firmware of my ssd? (ocz vertex 3)
Download the firmware from ocz and follow the instructions. Some SSD makers require windows to flash, others include a bootable linux disk image that you need to burn. I can't say what ocz does but their site should have directions.

nimits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Thessaloniki Greece
i don't want to "infect" :):):) my system.Is there any other solution?
I want also to upgrade my capacity to 240gb, what brand name to choose? I am a bit confused.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like OCZ only supports linux and windows as platforms to update your SSD, so you're options are quite limited.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I was able to upgrade the same SSD's firmware via a bootable Linux firmware upgrade tool, but currently I don't remember its exact location. I just put the downloaded .iso (?) on a USB flash memory thumb drive (correctly of course) and booted from that.
Maybe have a look at the OCZ Vertex3 sub-forum or ask there, but there will probably a thread and guide already existing there.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
thank you all for the quick responses.
What about the upgrade,any proposal?

You can update OCZ Vertex 3 drives in Windows 7 Bootcamp with AHCI enabled and can not be the OS drive. However, OCZ does have a bootable Linux image that will work on the latest Intel Macs.

240GB - 256GB SSDs typically have the highest performance in their class. The Intel 520 uses the same controller as the OCZ Vertex 3, so yes the upgrade would be faster. Obviously, there is the capacity advantage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.