How can I upgrade from 10.4 > 10.5 with a leopard .dmg

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Frozurad, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frozurad macrumors newbie

How can I exactly upgrade my intel macbook which I bought at october 31 2007 to leopard? It is running tiger because it came with the leopard install disk as a bundle but the reboot disk is tiger by default and well in the summer of 08 my leopard disk got melted for being in the car for 2 weeks or so...and then my macbook got screwed so I had to reinstall everything but it had to be tiger. Now I have torrented a leopard disk image. Now please tell me how to upgrade from tiger to leopard, NOT DUAL BOOTING! Remember tiger doesn't come with boot camp and beta is not very reliable specially when it is already expired...I also do not have any external drives so scratch that also. Now how can I possibly upgrade to leopard from tiger? I have done it before with my leopard disk so I already know the procedure...is there any way I can do it with or without a blank dvd? I have toast so how can I also use toast to like burn the contents on my internet hard drive and pretend like its the dvd so when I click install mac os x it won't say " Cannot be installed from this volume " ? help :(

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

If your Mac came with Leopard on the install DVD contact Apple and they will send you a new one. If you're just looking for a way to upgrade to Leopard without having a legal copy support in these forums will ( and should ) be sporadic if there is any at all.

3. Frozurad thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't get the last part o.o also my warranty is kind of over already, are you sure they will send me a new one? I live in LA and the store told me that I should call apple but idk what to do exactly when I do :( hopefully the receipts and everything are still untouched because last time I saw them they were all in my macs box, and that is in the trun--- the cars at my cuzins house >_>

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I'm not calling you a lier but consider the fact that there are a LOT of newbies that come on MR and try to find ways to get illegal copies of software it's become commonplace.

And the reasons they use run the gamut.

Call Apple is all I can suggest.

5. Frozurad thread starter macrumors newbie

Its ok :) I just want a way to get leopard again to work if all legit ways are gone...and I will be sure to make a copy of my leopard disk when I call apple just in case sumtin happens to it again. ty!

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

To upgrade to 10.5, you need Leopard on a real DVD.

7. Frozurad thread starter macrumors newbie

Will that work by burning to contents of the disk image to an actual dvd in real life? As in will clicking install max os x actually bring up the restart window, then when you click restart boot into the dvd and procede with the installation? o.o

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

No, that will work by obtaining a legal copy of the software from Apple.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

You still need to get a real Leopard disk from Apple. It's not a question of your warranty - just call and give the serial number and you can get the original disks back.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It may cost ~$40 for the discs and shipping though.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

A disk image of a running Leopard system is NOT the same as a Leopard install disk. The install disk includes code to create a Leopard system and decide what software to put on the disk. This is not what you find on a running Leopard system. Or Tiger, or Panther. We're talking two different ideas here.

12. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

That is about right- I have done it several times now and on average the two disk replacement sets for the disks that originally shipped with the machine have run about $32 shipped. When you call Apple support they may recognize what you are after quicker if you tell them to are inquiring about obtaining "fulfillment disks" since that is apparently what they call them.

Since these disks are direct replacements for the disks that shipped with the Mac in particular originally, if the disks were Tiger, the replacements will be as well. The only way to get Leopard replacement disks is if your missing original disks carried Leopard.

13. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

Why not just get the multi-pack with Leopard, iLife, and iWork? That way, you can upgrade everything you don't already have.

14. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Call me anything you want but I believe the OP just wants to get a free copy of OSX.

15. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

Taking a step back from accusations of piracy....

Even with a legit disc image, without a blank disc or a separate partition or hard drive, you won't be able to install an OS. In the old OS 9 days you could install an OS from the active system without any problems so long as you didn't have anything conflicting running (still hard since OS 9 and earlier would exit the multifinder environment when installing software). The way OS X is wired, you can't even repair the active boot partition with a disk utility (that said, I've never had any of the -usually minor- file system errors/issues I had with OS 9).

16. ihabime macrumors 6502

Oh, let's not jump to any conclusions, I'm sure tons of people have accidentally melted their restore disk, and left their receipts in their cousins car and live in LA...wait, what does LA have to do with the story again?

Perfectly understandable fear, many millions of people suffer from telephonaphobia. I've taken the liberty to write a little script to help you get through it.

Apple Employee : Hi thank you for calling Apple, how can I help you?
    YOU : Hi, my name is ((insert your name)). I own a ((insert your Mac model)). I accidentally melted my OSX restore disk and would like a replacement. My serial number is ((insert the serial number from your Mac)).
    Apple employee : Sure thing, we'll send that right out to you. Have a good day.

See that wasn't so hard. If you're still uncomfortable, practice in front of a mirror a few times.

And always remember, Apple employees are more afraid of you than you are of them, if you don't show fear, they won't attack.

17. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

It gets hot in LA. I've had discs "melt" (actually, warp) in my car before.

Having said that, just because you bought the disc once before does not entitle you to illegally obtain it another time. Your Leopard disc is no good due to your own fault - buy a new one.

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

And no one here is going to help you install a torrented Leopard disk. Forum rules prohibit helping piracy. And how would you know it's just Leopard - the downloaded torrents are a great place to get messed up with trojans.

19. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

In all fairness, having a disk image of the install media doesn't mean that it was pirated. I've got images of every release of Mac OS X from the public beta all the way up to 10.5, every single one of them made from legally obtained discs.

Having images instead of the physical media makes good sense if you do a lot of system recovery, or if you do support while on the road. Need to restore a machine? Grab a blank, burn the desired version, install and you're done. No need to cart around a disc wallet or worry about scratching your only copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.