How can i use iphone 3g without data plan???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nil911, Aug 18, 2008.

1. nil911 macrumors newbie

I have searched through many forms including this one. I have i phone 3g and been using dataplan on it. Now as days passes its just getting too boring! so conclusion i came with was that i want to keep iphone but not pay for data plan. so what steps should i take to ensure that i wont get charge for data plan but still able to use wifi service on my iphone with other basic feature and still being with ATT my phone service provider. I know many would say that you should stick with plan, but i just dont have budget to pay for the plan...but i want iphone because image of :apple: in the market! hope someone can help...
    i did go through many of the posts on this form but was not sure if i need to unlock it or can i do without....or i can use jailbreaking well i dont evev know what it is...never theless if you know somesolution please post full details on either how to unlock or jailbreak or other....

hope some one can help

may force be with us!

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I have heard that if you put your sim card in another phone and then your iPhone gets 'lost', you can have the data plan removed. Then, once you find your iPhone and put the sim back in it, everything will work fine and you will save $360/year.

3. jmcclain145 macrumors regular

jmcclain145

yeah you can go into a ATT store and say you lost your iPhone and take your old phone with you. Ask them to change the IMEI and remove the rate plan, then go out to your car and put your SIM back in the iPhone. You wont be able to access the internet or email though unless from WIFI.

4. nil911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but i heard if you do that and when u put sim back with into iphone the imea will be sent out by iphone and data plan will get added quickly on it...? was wondering if this had worked with some ppl...please let me know

5. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

6. coyoteguy macrumors newbie

Did this work for you? Let me know what you did.

I had the iphone but sold it. Now of course I miss it. I don't want to pay for data. The main thing I want is the phone, camera with video, and wifi.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

8. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

Jailbreak, SBSetting and then set toggle to turn off edge and 3G

9. OceanView macrumors 65816

Can't AT&T tell if you are using an iPhone by just turning on the phone?
    Or does the JB prevent them from seeing what kind of phone you are using?

10. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yeah, I'm pretty sure theres no way around it. Even if you block data AT&T still knows that you have an iPhone and will automatically add back the data plan eventually.

How can you use an iPhone without data plan you ask? T-mobile.

11. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

AT&T can still see the iPhone, and yes theoretically they can add the plan, but so far they haven't done that to my girlfriends line. She's been using her 3g without data for the past year and a half

12. OceanView macrumors 65816

Is she using only the Wifi ?

13. Menerva macrumors newbie

iphone data question

I too am wondering about being able to use iphone without data. Here is my situation. :confused:My husband wants an iphone, on his current plan with ATT we have blocked data on his samsung phone, he has never had data. I currently have an iphone with the unlimited data. I was going to get the new iphone 4 and give him my iphone 3gs. If I put his card in the iphone 3gs will he still have the data blocked and be able to use that iphone? He does not want internet and is happy to use the wifi.

Thank you!

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Pay as you go. AT&T can't force a data plan on pre-paid customers. Either that or T-Mobile.