How can I use multiple drives with a new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kat.hayes, Sep 27, 2013.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I have a first gen Macpro that I use to store massive amounts of photos and videos on the separate internal drives. I need to upgrade and want a new iMac, though I am not quite sure how the storage will work. I will likely get a 256 or 512GB internal SSD, and I will likely just use this for the OS, applications, downloaded files, etc. I want to be able to plug in my external FW800 drives that I have with a FW800 to USB3 or TB adapter, and I want to MAINLY use my TB docking station(s) to plug in and swap out all of my bare bones drives.

1. How many TB docking stations can I have simultaneously connected? Are there hubs for connecting additional TB docking stations?

2. How many TB docking stations can I have simultaneously connected before it starts bottlenecking and does not transfer my data at the right speeds (I'm not sure which card or port that the bottleneck occurs at?)

3. Is there simply a device/enclosure that I can plug in and swap out 3-4 of my bare bones drives to replicate what I was able to do with my MacPro? I want to ideally have all of the drives mount on my desktop at the same time.

Thanks in advance!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

There aren't any firewire to usb adapters.

firewire to TB is available.