How can I use phone as game controller?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by vdrizz, Oct 30, 2015.

1. vdrizz macrumors newbie

Can't seem to pair via bluetooth.
    Wanting to play cross road and can't seem to figure out how to use phone/ipad as second controller.
    Any one out there have any advice?
    Thanks

2. RJ17 macrumors regular

3. groovyf macrumors 6502

Google search brought this up:

How to add an iPhone or iPad as a game controller for your Apple TV
    Third-party MFi game controllers are universal: You can use them anywhere on your Apple TV, including in non-gaming apps and on the Home screen. If you're looking to connect your iPhone or iPad to use as a controller, however, you'll have to first launch the specific game in question on both the Apple TV and your iPhone or iPad, then follow its instructions for pairing.

http://m.imore.com/how-add-game-controller-your-apple-tv

4. vdrizz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I tried the instructions from crossy road app and still nothing...
    Anyone had success pairing?

5. andsoitgoes macrumors member

Nope, it doesn't work right now for whatever reason. I go to the "Crossy Road" section and it says "waiting" for player 2, but the app doesn't give any sign that it's pairing together.

Basically, you have to have the App on the ATV talk to the App on the iDevice and at this point, CR doesn't.

You'd think for all the fanfare they gave it, it'd be stock out of the box. That said, I don't see in the CR release notes anything about it being updated to work with the new ATV, maybe their update is sitting in limbo?

6. youslippin macrumors member

I did this last night. Theres nothing to connect really, you just hit a button inside the game on the phone, while the apple tv is on the 2 player mode. I forget which one, but just play around

7. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

yeah this doesn't work for me either. i choose the 2 player mode and then am lost on what to do on the iphone crossy road app

8. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

Same here. Two player Crossy Road is not working for me either. iPhone is forever "searching".

9. youslippin macrumors member

On the iPhone, you have to hit the icon in the lower right hand corner on the main menu, then hit the controller icon. The Apple TV game has to be in 2 player mode

Attached Files:

10. vdrizz thread starter macrumors newbie

Did that. Stayed searching forever.

11. petitpiton macrumors member

I had the same problem - launch the game on the iPhone, pressed the button on the lower right and then the 'controller' button at the top of the column on the right... Sat there for ever searching for a game, whilst Apple TV was ready to go.

I applied the time-honoured fix... I restarted the Apple TV (using restart option in settings).
    Bingo - all working now
    Can only guess that the daemon or service Apple TV uses to advertise wasn't started
    Anyway, try a reboot of the Apple TV

12. vdrizz thread starter macrumors newbie

Worked and now I feel pretty dim for not having tried that!
    Thanks!