How can I verify If the nvidia330m is working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pedromperez, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Pedromperez macrumors newbie

How can I verify If the nvidia330m is working in my new mbp 15. How can In tell when its using the Intel HD or the Nvidia?

Thank you for your help

2. moel macrumors 6502

or if all you want is the info, very occasionally, and don't want a cluttered menubar, the old school way of doing it..is to go to about this mac, and see which card the monitor is attached to.

3. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

yes but it will pretty well only run off the intel graphics card, i suggest running something that requires a lot of graphics, like star craft 2 when i started it up it told me that the graphics settings were auto set to optimize the speed of my gpu, so when i checked it and everything was set on high that means my nvidia gt 330 m is working.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Google Chrome makes my computer run the Nvidia if dynamic switching is on...

Attached Files:

5. mikepro macrumors 6502

Interesting... What's the app that displays your fan speed and temp in the menu bar?

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

smcfancontrol

7. karohan macrumors 6502

Yeah, thats a glitch that's pretty common in Google Chrome. Chrome doesn't need the extra GPU power, so if you want, you can set it to Intel Only when using Chrome. If you insist on using the automatic switching, you'd have better results with Safari.

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I do keep it on Intel when on battery, but personally I think Safari sucks.

9. karohan macrumors 6502

I agree that Safari's not very good, but if you keep it on intel on battery, is Chrome still using the Nvidia (it shouldn't be). And if you're on the AC power, there is very little reason to not be using the nvidia anyway.

10. tjb1 macrumors 68000

No, it forces it to use the intel graphics and I have it set up to be dynamic on power and intel on battery :) automagically