Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hermoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Hi
I bought a american macbook one week ago, but i live in sweden. I'm having problems writing with the swedish keyboard layout because allot of keys are in the "wrong" place compared to my physical keyboard. so i'm wondering if i could have the default american keybord layout and customize it so the swedish leatters å, ö, and ä is where i want them to be and the keys showing on my physical keyboard where å, ö and ä is can be used if i press command and the key.

thanks in advance

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
If you go to System Preferences - International - Input Menu

You can select Swedish from there which I believe will switch your keyboard around so that it inputs like a normal Swedish keyboard, is that what you wanted.

Hermoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2008
If you go to System Preferences - International - Input Menu

You can select Swedish from there which I believe will switch your keyboard around so that it inputs like a normal Swedish keyboard, is that what you wanted.

No, like i said the swedish input dosen't work well with my macbooks physical keyboard. i have to memorise where allot of keys are. so i want to use the american input but customize it so i can write å. ö and ä with it.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Oh ok sorry got you now.

å press option+a
ö or any other letter with the umlaut on top press option+u then the letter you want
You can also do é, è, ñ all quite easily through the option button.

To view what happens when you press modifier keys
  • Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click International.

• Click Input Menu, then select the checkbox next to Keyboard Viewer.

• Select the On checkbox next to the language whose keyboard layout you want to use.

• Choose Show Keyboard Viewer from the Input menu (international symbol) on the right side of the menu bar.

• To see the keyboard layout for a different language, choose its keyboard layout from the Input menu.

When you view the keyboard if you press a modifier key it will display the characters that will be type, for example pressing option shows the various keys given above

Untitled.png

godmachine12

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
Oh ok sorry got you now.

å press option+a
ö or any other letter with the umlaut on top press option+u then the letter you want
You can also do é, è, ñ all quite easily through the option button.

To view what happens when you press modifier keys
  • Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click International.

• Click Input Menu, then select the checkbox next to Keyboard Viewer.

• Select the On checkbox next to the language whose keyboard layout you want to use.

• Choose Show Keyboard Viewer from the Input menu (international symbol) on the right side of the menu bar.

• To see the keyboard layout for a different language, choose its keyboard layout from the Input menu.

When you view the keyboard if you press a modifier key it will display the characters that will be type, for example pressing option shows the various keys given above

View attachment 116584

That is the only way to type the extra vowels without modifying the layout. If you can get used to using the option key then go for it. That kills my typing speed, but I use it for short input etc. Your best bet is to memorize the keyboard layout and just change it. Or maybe look for some type of overlay for the keyboard. I'm sure someone makes something like that.

Ludde

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
This is exactly the reason I bought my Macbook here in Sweden...I can use any other keyboard layout with it, which is more than I can say about several foreign keyboards...plus...we've got the vertical enter-key. I seriously can't stand an enter-key that looks like a capslock on the right side of the keyboard. ;)

Hermoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2008
xUKHCx:

Thanks for the help really appreciate it!
i've posted this on 3 diffirent mac forums called both swedish/american apple support but no one had some kind of answer. your metod is the closest i've came to finding a solution but like the poster above me stated, it will slow down me speed. i was hoping that there was some king of program that i can download/buy that can enable me to customize my keyboard but maybe there is no perfect solution to my problem.:(

Hermoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2008
You can use ukelele to create and modify keyboard layouts.

PERFECT!!!

i customized the american input just the way i wanted it so now i can write å ö ä without slowing down my speed and all keys are in the same place as my physical keyboard. the only thing i have to figure out now is how to enable the keys that å ö ä replaced. im gonna try to do this with dead keys. i want to be able to press the fn key or control key and be able to write the keys å, ö and ä replaced. ill post my results later today.

thanks again for the great tip!!!

EDIT: I fixed the problem now..

To get å ö ä i have to press the same keys that a swedish macbook user presses.
To get Å Ö Ä i have to press shift and the swedish keys.
To get [ ; ; i have to press the keys + option
To get { : " i have to press shift + option

Thanks to this free program i have now saved 200+ dollars :D

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.