Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregdrummeraz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Glendale, az
Quickly switch between osx and windows on my mac with out rebooting? is it true spaces can do this?

I just want to be able to share fules with the PC partition and MAC partition. :)

Thanks for any upcoming advice.

Greg

P.S. have not installed windows yet but was waiting to see if this was possible.

Thanks again! :cool::apple::p

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I think if you get a program like Parallels or VMWare Fusion. These are virtualization programs. Boot camp isnt. If you have one of those, i believe it opens up in another window, right on top of whatever your doing in OSX.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
You could install Parallels which, in a way, would allow spaces to allow you to switch between OSs.

In fact, there's a great package of apps (including Parallels) on sale right now. (There's a link near the top of every page.)

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Whats faster? VMware or parallels? :confused: I LOOOOOVE speed! :D

I wouldn't know. Personally I don't see why you would even want to run Windows (although i do really...) Read some reviews or ask people around in the forums. Create a poll and change the name of this thread.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Parallels can use your pre-existing bootcamp partition I believe.
IDK if VMware can or not...

vchalupa

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Do you have to bootcamp Windows first before you run either Parallels or VM Fusion???

Neo110503

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
I have used both programs both in trial versions. I don't think i got the full features but i prefer VMware. It let you run the windows programs almost in a native sense.

DarkMCS

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
I am using VMWare Fusion and I like it. It gets the job done...

I never tried Parallel, but I guess it is as good as VMWare.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I have used both programs both in trial versions. I don't think i got the full features but i prefer VMware. It let you run the windows programs almost in a native sense.

parallels will let you do this too...
I suggest you just try both as they both have trials. Whichever you like best is the one for you.

I dont think there is that big of a difference anymore though...

gregdrummeraz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Glendale, az
OK, well the main reason I am doing this is because I am wanting BADLY to play a game, command and conquer: red alert 2. :D. So I want to run UBUNTU(because free) inside of one of the emulator things(vm ware or parallels) and then use a WINE plugin(makes it able to run ALL winblows apps.

Would it be very slow to emulate in an emulator.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
VMWare and Parallels are both great, but I would say VMWare is a lot easier to understand. (however it's not like Parallels is anything hard to understand)

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
If you're looking at installing Ubuntu, I'd go get VMware Fusion. VMware are used to virtual machines, and they've got some useful tools that make using ubuntu a lot easier (drag and drop files, switching Windows etc.)

Now talking about running Windows IN Ubuntu...I don't see the point! With VMware you can run more than 1 virtual machine at once, so you can boot into Mac OSX then run Windows AND Ubuntu, which I do quite often, but you'll need a lot of RAM!

As for playing games: the only real way is to use bootcamp.

As for sharing files....you can get apps that can write to NTFS partitions, so you could get one of those, but VMware's drag and drop works great.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
You dont need anything special if all you want to do is share files. I just click my windows partition thats on my mac desktop and steal files if I need.

For games I use bootcamp and have the games on an eSata drive.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
:eek: How did you remove a post
It was removed by a moderator. You can report posts using the report post button to the left of every post (
report.gif
).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.