How can install add-ons on 2nd installation disk without having to reinstall leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by evansville, Oct 9, 2008.

1. evansville macrumors newbie

I performed a clean install on Leopard. I'm new to MAC, and didn't realize that ilife and iphoto were on the 2nd installation disk.

i have an imac - 2.8ghz that's about six months old, but i bought it from another person, and wanted a clean install on it.

now i have everything setup and i'm missing those applications. i tried putting in the 2nd disk, but can't access the files.

is there a way to install the 2nd disk without having to totally do a reinstall - oh, say it ain't so joe - i spent all day on this, i hope i don't have to start over!

thanks for the help. i think i'm doing pretty good with this and then i hit a wall. i'm going to really like using a mac once i figure out what i'm doing...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Try looking for "Optional Installs" or "Bundled Software". You can install the software without the entire operating system that way.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

One of the 2 restore DVDs should have an icon on it called something like "Install Bundled Software". That will install all the non-OSX software that shipped with the machine

4. evansville thread starter macrumors newbie

when i insert the 2nd installation disk and click on it, there is a text file for installing mac osX and applications

and a folder called Xcode Tools - nothing about bundled software.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

6. evansville thread starter macrumors newbie

here's what the disks say -

disk 1 says
    iMac Mac OS x Install Disk 1
    Then it says the OS is version 10.5.2 and that it's part of a hardware bundle that shouldn't be sold separately

disk 2 just says that it's os x install disc 2 disc version 1.0 and that it's part of the hardware bundle

iphoto was on the machine before i did the reinstall.

nowhere does it say anything about additional or bundled software,

i didn't reinsert disc 1 - should i put it back in the drive - i don't want to start a reinstall again?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think you should do this...

8. evansville thread starter macrumors newbie

i found it!

i put disk 1 back in and it gave me the option to install bundled software - thanks so much - sorry to be such a dunce.

i have no idea what the xcode tools are on the 2nd disk.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

First hit on Google.

There's are more installers then just OS X on the first DVD. Good luck.

10. evansville thread starter macrumors newbie

Smooth install...

It worked like a charm. Thanks so much for the help.

Computer directed me to install disk 2, it loaded all the files. I'm just nervous, since this is my first rodeo with a MAC....