How can IR start after months? (rMBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnsmith007, Mar 18, 2013.

1. johnsmith007 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    can somebody please explain me, how Image retention can develop over time?

If i get a brand new system and the problem persists from the beginning ok, in this case the display is "faulty" and has this issues. But how can it be that the display works for days, weeks or even months, with some testing over time, always without problem and after some time the image-retention-issues comes out?

Thank you

btw: why does the problem exist only on the 15" model and the 13" models are not affected?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

3. saytheenay macrumors member

I am not a hardware engineer, but I have my suspicions on why it happens over time:

While I don't know for sure, when I had a rMBP, it got pretty hot to me when pushed even moderately (it had a Samsung display with a yellow tint in the bottom-left, so back it went).

On the cMBP, air is blown out and directed partially above the hinge and below the hinge, while on the rMBP, it is only blown out above the hinge--straight at the screen. Push it hard enough and over time, it seems like it cooks the screen. In addition, if the bottom of the display has any opening (the seal isn't tight, etc.), I suspect the heat is cooking the display. If the LG has lower heat tolerances and/or isn't as tough as the Samsung, that may explain why LG has more retention issues.

The cMBP both intakes and blows air out of the hinge--this may result in the intake air cooling the blown air a bit before it leaves the chassis, while the rMBP blows nothing but hot air out, which makes it feel hotter. When I compared my 2010 MBP to the retina, I could feel the air was much hotter coming out of the retina than the non-retina.

Don't get me wrong--I liked the retina a lot, but the screen defect and excessive heat (to me at least) resulted in it not working out, for now.

4. johnsmith007 thread starter macrumors newbie

this could be a reason...but why does some rMPB then have the issue already from the beginning or others like in the apple-store which are "running" without any heavy loads?