How can jailbreak carry on?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Loooch, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Loooch macrumors newbie

Someone may correct me straight off and I will gladly look foolish but.. As I understand it you can't jailbreak an iPhone that's been updated to 2.2 through itunes. Apple products usually have a life of about 1 to 1 and a half years and we probably all have phone contracts for this amount too. What happens in a years time in my case, when I'm due a new phone, get another iPhone and it comes out of the box preloaded with firmware you can't unlock? Is jailbreak a temporary paradise we will remember fondly?

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

How on earth did you manage to find the button to post this thread?

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

3G iPhone JB/Unlocked 2.2 Firmware Exists = OP typing away on BB Storm w/o WiFi...:eek:

4. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

5. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

6. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

I think I understand. Are you asking what happens when the next iPhone comes out? Like the way the iTouch 2G can't be JB because of the different processor? If that's what you're saying, then I think it will only be a short amount of time before the dev-team figures it all out.... They've got this stuff down to a science. :D

7. jenzo macrumors member

oh i get it posted @ 4:20..... big bongload help ya come up with that gem?

8. sjorge macrumors member

They are indeed amazing but Apple is getting tighter too.
    the keys for the touch still haven't been found so if newer iphone use the same or different keys (most likely) it will take a long time to jb too.

It's sad but Apple is learning. (Now if they only would listen to what we want too)

9. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

The Dev Team aren't even trying to JB the 2G iPod Touch. Read their blog :)

Edit: But OP, I think you're mistaken. you're thinking that the iPhone can't be UNLOCKED if it's upgraded to 2.2. The Dev Team warned people if they want a soft unlock in the future to upgrade through PwnageTool to preserve the baseband. Turns out their unlock app 'yellowsn0w' will work with 2.2 and the latest baseband (02.28.00) :D

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you use them as cutting boards... or cheese graters... or baseball bats...

I had a similar reaction, but mine was more of a scoff.

WHOA, you're banned. Interesting... :p