How can Leopard suddenly be using this much RAM?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jack Flash, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Wow, post upgrade activities that used only 22% of my 2GB RAM now consume up to 58%

Did something go wrong with my upgrade?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Did you just finish the upgrade process? 10.5 does a lot of stuff in the background after the first boot (such as spotlight indexing, time machine stuff, etc...). It won't be this bad after it completes all the tasks. They should really provide more warning about this because it is a little disconcerting at first.

3. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

How are you seeing you're RAM usage? If you're using Activity Monitor, sort by the Real Memory column and find out. There are definitely some processes in Leopard that can eat up processor and RAM and never spit them out (syslogd, for one, kernal_task for another)

edit: great. Something called bzip2 just ate all my processor. Killed it, we'll see if it wreaks havoc.

4. Jack Flash thread starter macrumors 65816

If this is typical Leopard behavior, I'm not sure a stock MacBook could run it. I'm using well over 1GB of Memory simply surfing in Safari, listening to iTunes and leaving Mail open to check for new messages every 5 minutes.

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Swap is being more aggressively used. Right now I am using 1 GB of swap and 1 GB of RAM. All I have open is Mail, Safari, iChat and Skype. I think Mail is the culprit. But I am not too sure.

6. Jack Flash thread starter macrumors 65816

Again, i really don't understand what this means.

If I took out one of the 1GB sticks in my machine would it be unable to run Mail, Safari and iTunes all at once?

Safari is using 300MB of physical RAM as I type this!

7. Blubbert macrumors 6502

I dont understand why people worry so much about the ammount of ram used. Its what its there for. The only time that ram usage would be a problem is if you dont have enough ram to open or run an application. I have 2gb of ram, and i seriously dont have a problem with using 1.2 gb, just for havinig Opera, Azureus, Mail, iCal and Itunes open.

8. Jack Flash thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah but at this point I'm using more RAM than MacBooks come with stock and all Im doing is browsing the Internet, talking on iChat and listening to some music.

9. Nightfall macrumors newbie

Have heard Safari is a HUGE mem hog. Have you noticed what Firefox uses? :D

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i really think your overreacting to this small problem. it shouldnt be bothering you, you have virtual memory there for a reason. this essentially allows you to have incredibly large amounts of RAM (Virtual memory is saved to the hard drive, it is slower to access).

safari uses a hell of a lot of resources, thats one tiny reason why its snappier, because more things are loaded into RAM giving faster results. if you have large amounts of tabs or windows open it will chew through your RAM.

i really wouldnt worry too much

11. Jack Flash thread starter macrumors 65816

So, in the case of a MacBook with 1GB RAM, would the computer simply allocate more virtual memory?

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yeap you've got it.
    my mbp is currently running on 12gb VM, my imac is using around 49gb while idle. the computer will automatically allocate it depending on your free HD space, and what programs you are running

13. Evangelion macrumors 68040

In case you are interested:bzip2.

14. bb10lue macrumors member

PrintJobMgr eats a lottttt RAM, closed it under Activity monitor, now its down to 4% from 58%.:D