Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
My father accidentally deleted his text message history with my brother and one of his brothers (my uncle) and I'm at a loss as to how to restore this.
I tried Google, but the obvious solutions don't appear to apply because:
  1. He doesn't have his data backed up on iCloud nor has he ever bothered setting any of that up.
  2. He doesn't have anything backed up on his Mac at home because he's never plugged his iPhone into his computer.
  3. The last automatic backup of his messages happened after he deleted all those messages.
Given all that, is there any hope for my father getting the text message history restored on his iPhone?
To clarify, the messages were deleted by accident (he thought he was deleting a message he'd just sent, not the entire message history, and didn't know he couldn't delete sent text messages) but they were only deleted from his phone. So far as I know, my brother still has the full text message history with my father on his phone, and they're both on the same carrier (Cricket) so shouldn't there be some way for my brother to transfer his text message history from his phone to my father's phone?
My father also mentioned that he once took his phone to the people at a Cricket store and they didn't even want to touch his phone, emphasizing they only handled sales of new devices.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The text messages on your dad’s phone are gone for good.
But—-

Your brother can take screen shots of all the messages on his phone and send them to your dad. They’ll be pictures of course, but fine for viewing and storing forever.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Wouldn’t timing be a factor if deleted messages can be restored ? I remember I once deleted messages from someone on my iPhone. I think at the time I unchecked messages to iCloud backup , deleted all my messages. Then turned on messages from iCloud again. Everything came back.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
Wouldn’t timing be a factor if deleted messages can be restored ? I remember I once deleted messages from someone on my iPhone. I think at the time I unchecked messages to iCloud backup , deleted all my messages. Then turned on messages from iCloud again. Everything came back.
Except in this case, the user has never used iCloud and has no backups of anything anywhere. Those messages are gone for good once they were deleted.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I remember reading a MacWorld article about lost data and in it the author of the article mentions that if all options of icloud backup, itunes backup and contacting network providers customer services (some providers save customers messages) have failed then there are these companies to try that offer software solutions but they could be pricey.

https://www.tenorshare.com/products/iphone-data-recovery.html (it does support your dads version of iphone)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.