How can RAID some SSDs?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rabidz7, Sep 13, 2013.

1. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I see that the new x86 Mac Pro has 800mbps PCIe SSD storage, and that is faster than my PowerPC G5, so the G5 must get faster.

On the motherboard the G5 has two SATA I ports, those are so slow I just wanna desolder em' :eek:!

My SATA card has two SATA III ports, but is unbootable, so I can't do anything with it but use it to control spare HDDs for keeping a several 100 GB of FLAC music. But the card is hooked in via PCIe1 x1, and is so slow that I want to smash it with a sledge hammer :eek:!

I see the Sonnet tempo SSD card where you plug in the SSDs and duct tape them to the card, because no one needs screws, right? It is also not bootable, so it will do a great job holding music, until I realize that I have four OCZ vectors attached to it that aren't doing anything but be used when the turntable brakes down, and I throw the card in the blender, and set it to "Ice Crush" :eek:!

So what can I do to hook up enough SSDs into RAID 0 to beat the Mac Pro transfer speed.

This post is a serious question, the ends of each section are just to be silly, please don't comment about the ends of each section

2. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Jesus Christ, mate. You're seriously expecting eight year old hardware to be anywhere near technology from 2013? It doesnt matter how many expansion cards you put in the damn thing, you're never getting anywhere near it.

You want 800mbps? Buy the rubbish bin. Nothing with PPC in its name is going to even come close. I love ppc systems, but for the love of god, dont you think its time to face the music? I dont like it either, but apple powerpc is dead.

3. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Seriously, enjoy the PowerPC for what it is. It sounds like you have a very nice one to meet your legacy needs. If you want state of the art speed, get a state of the art computer.

It's fun to optimize these machines, but don't make your G5 feel that it needs to keep up with new Mac Pro just to avoid the trash bin. That's not fair to your G5. Love it for what it is.

4. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

What will you actually be accomplishing by doing this?

You create a RAID setup either for data integrity, performance, or some combination of both.

RAID 0 is what gamers use. It splits the data across multiple volumes, theoretically increasing performance. Performance, however, has often shown to be a minimal increase.

There is most likely nothing you can do to come close to the transfer rate of the new mac pros. They will not be using SATA but PCIe for the interface. Transfer rate is going to be measured in GB/s. There is nothing available on the G5 that comes close to that kind of transfer rate.

You are going to experience diminishing returns for your investment. Using SSDs with good old SATA I is going to be as good as it gets. That's better than what most existing Intel Macs have.

At some point there is no amount of money or hackery you can expend on these machines to increase their performance any further. They have limits. Learning to live and work within those limits is what makes these machines fun.

5. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

100 GB of FLAC music? Ok, let me stop you right there. Who are you trying to impress? and I think M4a AAC is a high quality format that will save you a lot of space.

Like someone said before, just love your Mac. Period. It will never be as fast as the new Mac Pro. Look I enjoy my iBook G4, but it will never be as fast as my BlackBook Core 2 Duo. Never. But I do love my iBook and I take it to work because I don't want to take my blackbook to work and the ibook is all I need for all my job's tasks.

I love using it, I know its limitations and I learn to get along with them. Just enjoy it, get the most of it and stop underclocking your computers.

6. Colpeas macrumors 6502

Colpeas

OT: C'mon, some people like lossless music. I am one of them.
    No need to force anyone to use lower quality codec just because you feel it's more space-efficient...

I agree with everything else. Although I have the last 17" MBP and a MacPro, I still enjoy using both my Quad G5 and 17" PB G4 (I have the DLSD model modded with a WUXGA screen). Using PPC Macs is a kinda my hobby and although I absolutely don't expect the G's to come any close to any of my Intel machines performance-wise, I really do enjoy trying hard to squeeze from them as much power as possible. All that just for the sake of the tuning itself.

And I gotta say, some of my friends are genuinely impressed when they see how fast my 9-year-old, single-core laptop is. SSD-powered :D