How can recover deleted avi file from hard disk?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rosetanny, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Rosetanny macrumors newbie

I have deleted some avi file from my hard disk after that i have format and install operating system (windows) several times. I have used several recovery software to retrieve my deleted avi files but the recovery software says it deleted earlier version of windows some not.

Would you please help me how can i recovery my files or is there any ways? or is it possible with any recovery software ?
    By the way,have anyone used Nice to Recover Data for Mac software?
    It is said that it can Recover photos, videos, music and other multimedia files from various Internal and External Mac Hard Drives, USB Flash Drives, iPod and memory cards.

Looking for your help.

Thanks in advance! :mad::mad:

2. simsaladimbamba

It is probably gone already, as you installed a new OS several times already, and thus probably overwritten the sectors the file has been stored in.
    But I guess the above quote doesn't help, if you use Windows.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If I'm understanding your plight, you deleted some files from a disk, which you then proceeded to reformat and install windows multiple times. If that is the case your data is long gone. Its been over written multiple times.

4. Rosetanny thread starter macrumors newbie

:):):) I have reformatted the data.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It's too late; it's gone.

6. simsaladimbamba

You reformatted the HDD, not the data. But as said before, by you, me and maflynn, you did this several times, thus the data is gone.
    If the .avi files where of personal creation, then you are lost, but if the .avi files where something which is publicly available, you just have to re-download them.

7. Rosetanny thread starter macrumors newbie

:(:(:(:(:( Are there any other ways to get the lost data back? They are important to me!

8. simsaladimbamba, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

simsaladimbamba

You could contact a Data Recovery Service in your area and give them your HDD for analysation and see, if the data might be recoverable. But if the data is recoverable by such service, it can easily cost a 1000 €.

Btw, if that data was so important for you (personal video files I guess), why didn't you back them up before installing Windows several times on that HDD?

9. Rosetanny thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you,simsaladimbamba! I will contact a Data Recovery Service company.

10. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Reformatting doesn't destroy the data unless you overwrite the whole disk with ones and zeros. If you did a windows quick format, your data may still be there as long as a new file wasn't written to the same physical space on the hard disk.

If you did the quick format which is sometimes the default, you files could still be there. Some Mac, PC, and photography specific apps could recover that data.

PM me if I forget to check this thread again.

You'd be amazed at the stuff that can be recovered with cheap software. Sometimes it's better to try Mac or Linux software on a windows hard drive.

On the other hand if you ever want to completely destroy data, use a hammer on the hard drive.