how can shared files appear if sharing is "off"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wheresdavid, Nov 17, 2009.

1. wheresdavid macrumors newbie

I just notice that there are several shared "folders" in the finder view. I am trying to figure out how they got there. in system preference under internet and wireless - sharing, I do not have anything checked "on". My question then is how did these "folders" appear as shared and how can I prevent others from showing up? I am traveling in asia and connecting to the internet on unsecured WIFI connections.

Thank you

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Marking a folder as "Shared" is independent of the sharing settings. If you have a folder "Shared" but file sharing is off, the folder is not accessible. It just shows that it would be shared if you had it turned on.

3. wheresdavid thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the information. The shared files are no longer showing in Finder. The ones that were showing before were from "other computers" which concerned me that maybe "others" could be accessing my macbook.

Cheers,

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You will always see other shared computers on your network no matter you sharing settings. The options under  -> System Preferences -> Sharing only affect sharing your computer with others.

5. wheresdavid thread starter macrumors newbie

exactly what is meant by "network"?

Thanks for the info. The folders are showing up again in finder in the shared are so it must be because I am connected to a "network". Does this mean that I would see the "shared" files of other computers who are connected to the same WIFI that I am connected to?

Cheers,

David

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution