How Can The Camera Be This Terrible?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mrmister, Feb 9, 2018.

1. mrmister, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018

mrmister macrumors regular

It is 2018. The camera on my 2016 MacBook is 480p, and it shows. It looks like snaps from the 90s. It looks like hammered garbage. It's laughable.

My 2012 MacBook Pro has a 720p camera.

The old MacBook Air, which this laptop is supposed to mop the floor with and replace...has a 720p camera.

In fact, nothing in Apple's lineup for YEARS has had a 480p camera...except the MacBook.

I go out of my way to not use it to Skype, it's so bad. I was just reminded now because I wanted to use it, and then thought better of it. Again.

I get maybe that the thinness of the case was a problem—in 2015. It's 2018. There have been two more revisions since then, and it still doesn't have simple parity with what the MacBook Air had IN MID-2012.

That's six years ago. The MacBook didn't just not advance—it went backward, and has now stalled there for three years.

I actually can't think of another major product from Apple that got worse than everything else...and then over 3 revisions never made back what it lost.

Responses about how I should put up with it can stuff it. Same with other apologists.

This is the first thing I will check on the next MacBook spec sheet.

2. deepakvrao macrumors 6502

About to buy one, and this stinks. Still going ahead though.

3. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

"Face ID is the future!"

Well we'll see about that, I guess...

4. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

My guess is that the 2018 MacBook will have a 720p camera. That's how Apple nickel and dimes you, by providing incremental upgrades that "hopefully" tempt you to give them more of your hard-earned coin for the latest and greatest tech. That's their marketing strategy. Why do you think they're a multi-billion-dollar success story?

5. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Gotta have a way to get people to spend another $1000 each year - when the bald guy comes up on the white background saying how he personally precision made the new camera out of the tears of 1 day old infant turtles or something...

6. 827538 macrumors 65816

Yeh the 480p FaceTime camera is absolutely trash. Unacceptable in such an expensive laptop in my opinion.

I usually rely on my iPhone to FaceTime instead of my MacBook as the camera is just so bad.

7. iPodClassic1 macrumors member

iPodClassic1

So, basically, you want only responses from people who agree with you. Cool.

8. adam1080 macrumors regular

adam1080

I never FaceTime anyone...

It makes for a lonely existence but it also lets me not give a flying rat's bumhole about the 480p camera.

I would love FaceID just for unlock, but the camera is the last thing I care about on my MacBook.

9. Banjo&kazooie98 macrumors newbie

I agree the camera is not the greatest. Realistically people will continue to buy the laptop regardless. Whether they do not rely on the camera or the other specs are more of a priority, and you also have the odd person that will still buy it regardless since it is something Apple releases.

10. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

You must've not been an FCP 7 user when FCP X came out.. ;-)

11. everythingapplerainbow macrumors regular

everythingapplerainbow

a typical Apple move: fixing old bugs by building everything from ground up, also, removing features people love