How can the fitness app be so wrong ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by thedoc46, Oct 13, 2015.

1. thedoc46 macrumors member

Has anyone else noticed how crap the apple fitness app is ?

I have a calibrated sigma computer, that measures distance made to the milimeter, and that pretty much matches what Strava calculates on distance. I also wear a hr monitor when i cycle, as i like to train to HR rather than speed.

But the Outdoor Cycling, robs you of nearly 5% of distance and therefore dumbs down your average speed... But on a plus note it does monitor the HR correctly while cycling and the calories seem what you'd expect for a reasonably hard workout... 1hr at 165bpm avg, maxing at the 190's. Speed depending on wind 18-20mph avg.

Then there's the eliptical... So i thought i'm going to give this a hard workout for 30mins, and made sure my HR was over 160 the entire time (I'm 43, so i'm working quite hard to keep it at the pace) Never going under 200watts and HR never going below 160..

Get off the thing expecting to see a good 450-500 burned, and it says 200 ????? WTF How can it be so out? Surely a man 170lb at 43yrs old, who's going at it enough to keep his HR about 160 for 30mins, is going to burn more than 200 calories... Doesn't take a health expert to work that one out. So who exactly came up with these numbers?

Then weight training or other... The HR monitor becomes as good as useless. Like a proper HR strap will say you're in the 130's / 140's, giving it decent effort... The HR monitor says i'm apparently laying on my bed sipping a cup of tea at 60bpm.

I can't believe people haven't complained enough for apple to look into the major discrepancies and i was half expecting some major changes in Watch OS2... but its still as crap and wrong as ever.

2. mac8867 macrumors 6502

You should search the topic, people are pretty much "over it" in the complaining department.