How can the iPhone be the best phone when..

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by andylyon, Nov 11, 2009.

1. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

First of all I would like to say I own an iPhone. Anyway, this article from the UK intrigued me. A lot of people accept that the iPhone is the best phone around, but this article talking about Japanese phones seems to suggest their phones are by far more complex and useful than today's phones can offer, even the latest iPhone. How can people say the iPhone is the best IF it is not? Do people just disregard Japanese phones just because they are not sold in Europe or the United States? Here's the story:

Link

I would like to know what you guys think?

AnDy

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

My friends daughter just moved back from Japan. While her phone over there was much more powerful in terms as a full blown PDA and email/web device she is now living in the states and has an iphone.
    She is making comments routinely regarding the dumbed down functions of the iphone in regards to email functions, bluetooth, calendar and contact syncing and the web limitations.

she likes the iphone but does see its limitations comared to other phones

3. harleygold macrumors regular

harleygold

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

china...labor and regulation are much less than in japan

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The iPod wasn't the first to the market as a HDD based music player, and it doesn't have all the functionality that MP3 players have (even today) but why does it sell? Like the iPhone, people want a phone they can use, rather than a phone that has everything but they are intimidated by the way these features are implemented.

6. covisio macrumors 6502

covisio

Exactly, it's not about what it does, but how it's implemented and how accessible the features are.
    Secondly, the App-based feature set of the iPhone means it is infinitely customisable to do what you want it to do. Okay, it doesn't have a 10 megapixel camera, but the vast majority of users just want a camera that is 'good enough', not the ultimate in picture quality.
    As usual it's just a typical poke at Apple's success and can be unravelled pretty easily.

7. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

No. It's China.

8. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

What are prices like for these superphones? Do they compete (subsidized) with the iPhone at $99 ^?

Also, it sounds like those phone sacrifice other things like ease of use, and physical design/size.

If those Japanese phones are so far superior to what we have over here, making an ultra-smartphone category, why isn't anyone at least trying to sell them here?

Nate

9. andylyon thread starter macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Very good point about the price, but I have heard people writing the iPhone is the best phone regardless of price.

And also, I think the Japanese phones aren't in other places because their cellular networks are far more advanced than ours and ours couldnt cope with all the data exchange?

I'd also like to add that i'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the article I just found it a very good read and wanted to pass it on.

AnDy.

10. iMacmatician macrumors 601

11. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

This is the first time that you've realised Japanese technology is miles ahead of what we get?

12. andylyon thread starter macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Not at all, i've always wanted to visit Tokyo because of that very reason. I just enjoyed the read.

AnDy

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Didn't I see this exact same article last year?

And the year before that?

14. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Don't assume until you've been in an iPhone factory.
    Yes, yes. I seem to have a vague memory of that too. :cool:

15. MTI macrumors 65816

I remember with the iPhone was introduced and folks from Japan were amused by all the attention such a puny device was getting, since their phones had live TV streaming, full audio and visual content management and full customization.

The Japanese made the serious investment in telecommunications infrastructure, so it's no wonder that they use their mobiles more like personal computers than mere phones. They have some killer phone bills, though. DoCoMo phones were the envy of most tech journalist when the original CRT based iMacs were being released. ;)

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

USABILITY is a feature.

Example
    - Some phone that is advertised with 100 features, with 95 you can't figure out
    - iPhone with 30? features all easily accessible, without a need for 100 page manual

Which one is more USEFUL for the end user?

17. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

QFT. I had couple of quite well loaded HTC phones and several Nokia Communicators before getting my iPhone.

I used quite a lot of the featureset of the HTC phones, but over time, used less as it got to be just too much bother.

With the iPhone, I use far more of its features as they are just easier to use.

My non-technical partner had a HTC phone, and to be honest, she struggled to use more than 3 or 4 out of its 100 features. Text message, alarm, and flight mode, and that's it. She couldn't get the hang of photos, or filming, or emails, or internet or MMS at all. These were basically dead modes on the HTC and useless to her.

When she borrows my iPhone, she's able to take photos with a minimum of fiddling about, which is more than she's ever done with her own phone.

She runs a company, but if she can't work out how to deal with photos on a phone, there's something seriously wrong with the phone.

x RedTomato

18. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

So will the next version of the iPhone have some of these 'Japanese' features? :) Are things like the wallet chip standardized so that they would work in both Japan and, say, Canada?

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A friend of mine has a Sharp phone. It has a built-in privacy screen that you can toggle on and off. That's pretty slick.

20. bloodycape macrumors 65816

That would be pretty cool an ipod touch/iphone with either an Aquos like display or a beautiful AMOLED screen.

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The reason why iPhones caught on more than those Japanese phones you've mentioned?

Simplicity. Same reason why Macs are superior, when they have in fact, inferior hardware to their PC counterparts. Just because it has more technology, does not mean it is necessarily better. (Take for example, fingerprint readers in laptops, etc)

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Personally, I think Apple's marketing is just better.

Japanese people have been using GPS on mobile phones for so long that they don't even realise it's a feature. My girlfriend's mobile is around 4-5 years old now, and it can tell her where she is within a train station. It even has the building mapped out. She uses it to buy train tickets and everything else. She doesn't even know what I don't have in my phone.

If I remember correctly, Japan didn't even have "2G." I was so happy that I had internet on my Nokia 5800 and my iPhone, and my girlfriend didn't understand why. :eek: