how can there be retail software that copies movies?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cgm707, Nov 6, 2011.

1. cgm707 macrumors member

I would like to copy portions of DVD movies that I own, to create a custom DVD. Before I spend money on a product that says it can do this, I am just wondering how they do this is the movies are supposed to be copyrighted or copy proof?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They may be copyrighted, but they're not copy-proof. You don't have to spend money, either. You can rip DVDs with Handbrake.

3. cgm707 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much for the reply. So, any software for DVD copying should work, I guess. I will take a look at Handbrake. Thanks for the referral, GGJstudios.

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Hell, you can even use Disk Utility to rip a DVD.

5. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

heck! you could buy them already ripped at asian supermarkets!!

6. Risasi macrumors 6502

With the advent of DMCA, it's technically illegal to rip your own movies, because you're circumventing encryption. But it's not theoretically illegal to make a backup copy of your own media. So it's this weird catch-22.
    I think a viable business is to mail your DVD's to some place like Holland, have them decrypt and rip your DVD's for you making a backup copy, then mail back to you your DVD and a decrypted file copy of the DVD. At least that's what I do with mine...that's the ticket. I have someone in Holland making backup copies of my DVD's for me. ;)

The whole thing is FUBAR, reminds me of this scene about hash:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIk-xp3F3kI&feature=related