How can they get such low price on 17 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ynewmarc, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ynewmarc macrumors newbie

Hello,

Usually I don't believe in craigslist for too low pricing but today I'm seeing some one sale base brand new 17 inch 2.2 i7 for 1900 in my area.

The fact that this's new, un-open and they do have store receipt with exact serial :rolleyes:

Wonder how they can get such low price since cheapeast I can see is amazon for 23xx

2. GGJstudios, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Meet in a public place (mall / macdonalds etc), ask him to see and open the macbook pro, check the stats , be sure it's authentic.
    But I saw someone from the UK is selling a 17" 2010 mbp for 800euros. Sounds fishy too but you never know...

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

They could always rob you for your cash, even in a public place. Maybe meet them in front of your bank, so you can get the cash after seeing the computer.

Also, make sure you check System Profiler, not the "About This Mac" as a lot of that can be changed (maybe System Profiler can too, idk).

In truth though, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Ask yourself why they would sell it for $1900 when they could probably get $2100 just as easily.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Oh, lastly look for the Thunderbolt symbol next to the port to make sure the body is a 2011 model. Someone on here missed that and got scammed, and it's something that would probably be forgotten by most crooks (or just too hard to replicate well)

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Could be stolen, could be supply + demand. It could be that the seller bought it at-cost from Apple somehow.

8. ynewmarc thread starter macrumors newbie

Really that they able changing System Profiler info ?

9. ynewmarc thread starter macrumors newbie

I am meeting the seller in public coffee shop now with no cash on hand, he showed me the laptop, it is unopen , brand new , I checked serial and it matching receipt with good warranty

Now my friend on the way back to ATM to cash out, when we get cash I will open box in front of him (saler)

Is there any other things should I aware ?

We will get cash for saler in any next 15 mins

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did the seller explain why the price is so low? Well, I'd ask why they're selling it, not why the price is so low.

11. ynewmarc thread starter macrumors newbie

their post on craigslist showing that they have 4 (2 15inch and 2 17 inch)

The fact that he is showing me receipt that come with purchase exact model + serial in store last June 21 with Mastercard

:rolleyes:

12. ynewmarc thread starter macrumors newbie

He just said he get the deal from inside employee ? Does Apple employee able to get such much discount ?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It still sounds fishy to me. I personally wouldn't buy a Mac from Craigslist, but the choice is yours.
    Even if they get a discount, I'd seriously doubt they could apply it to multiple Macs.

14. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

He could be using a stolen credit card, you never know.

15. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Meet them at the Apple Store and have the Apple people confirm lit being legitimate.

Somebody posted on here about a CL deal for a MBP and it turns out the MBP was older than presented even though " About This Mac " said it was current.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Checking the serial number to verify warranty status would reveal if it was used, as opposed to new. It wouldn't, however, reveal if it was stolen. If they have a receipt from a store, I'd call that store and ask them to verify the purchase.

17. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I could go to Apple and buy a brand new 17" MBP.

Take it home, remove the seal intact, remove the new MBP and put my old MBP back in that box.

Replace the seal, and now the Serial Number on the box and receipt will match BUT ......

the MBP inside that box is old, if there is an MBP inside that box. Might be a piece of lead!!!!!!!

18. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

IIRC, employees get 25% off ONE computer per year, and 10% or 15% of another one or two for family. It's odd that he has so many. How much does the receipt show he paid?

A stolen credit card sounds more likely.

19. ynewmarc thread starter macrumors newbie

The receipt showing one 17 MC725LL/A 2499+ 206.17 with total $2705.17

20. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Then there was no "inside discount". The only reason someone would buy something for $2700 and sell it a few days later for $1900 would be if they didn't pay for it (i.e. stolen CC). Think about it - he could just return it for $2700, so why would he sell it for $800 less?

The question is, if it's a stolen CC, what does that do? The owner will just file a chargeback and Apple won't get their money. Does that mean they will keep the laptop if you ever come in for service? Or somehow remotely lock it out of getting updates or using the Mac App store?

Personally, I would consider selling it for $2200 or something and buying a legit one.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I completely agree. This smells like a scam. If you want my best recommendation.... RUN!

22. ynewmarc thread starter macrumors newbie

I just get it,

Opened the box, serial matching outside box and match on receipt. Laptop still in the seal.

Checking serial https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do here however show as registered. How can it be registered since the laptop still in the seal hmmm ?

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's automatically registered at the time of purchase from Apple. You have to ask yourself why anyone would pay $2700 for a computer with a 14-day return policy and sell it for $800 less, rather than return it to Apple for a refund of the full purchase price? It's a scam. Take a picture of the scammer with your phone and call the police.

24. eUnique macrumors member

I'm pretty sure apple employees get 25% off a system once a year and 15% off another 3 for friends.

But either way if it's new/sealed/legit quit asking questions, legally you can't get in trouble if you "didn't know" it might of been stolen.

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not only a matter of getting in trouble. If it is determined to be stolen, the OP could end up losing the MBP, and their money would be gone.