How can we make the most money from this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yumunum, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Yumunum, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

(EDIT: I'm eligible for an upgrade on AT&T, btw.)

I'm debating whether to sell my iPhone 4, and buy an iPhone 4S, or buy the iPhone 4S, sell it, and buy something else like an iPad to be a companion to my iPhone 4. Either way, I'm sure a lot of you guys have done something like this, and I'm looking for advice. How should I do either of those? Where should I sell them, ect.?

2. Schweitzer macrumors regular

LOL wut?

Good luck making da moooney with dat.

3. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

How about you get a job and let the people that want the new phone to actually use it get one without a huge headache.

4. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Oh whoops, I forgot to mention I'm eligible for an upgrade. Sorry about that

5. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I would upgrade to the 4S. Keep it.

Make a listing on craigslist for the 4.

Use the money from the 4 to pay for the 4S and the rest put towards the iPad.

The way you know how much to sell the 4 for is by searching similar craigslist ads in your area to see the market price it is selling for.

6. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Its hard to say whether there will be big profit potential. If it sells out completely, you will have a window of maybe a couple of days to turn a pretty good profit (i.e. buying the iPhone 4S for $649 unlocked, selling it for $999 on Craigslist).

If Apple has enough devices on hand and can get the stores restocked often enough to not have a big shortage (good chance of that too, Apple indicated their logistics were rock solid by having an accelerated rollout schedule), then you will be stuck with it.

I would also hold off on selling an iPhone 4 until a month or two from now. In the next couple of weeks everyone will be trying to sell theirs so the prices will be lower.

I made this mistake with my iPad. I sold it immediately after iPad 2 was announced and got around $300 for my 32GB Wi-Fi. And believe me, no one was selling it for more at the time and I had a hard time finding a buyer (took a couple of days).

Right now, you can barely get a 16GB original iPad for that price. If I had waited an extra month or two I could have probably gotten at least $400-$450 for it. Oh well.

I won't make that mistake again. I want to get at least $350-$400 for my iPhone 4, though I bet in the next few weeks you are going to see them on Craigslist and eBay for as low as $250 until things cool off a bit.

If I can't get at least that $350-$400 though, I will have to pass on the iPhone 4S.

7. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Either jailbreak and unlock (if possible) your iPhone 4 and sell it now, or don't. iPhone 4 prices will fall once the 4S is launched, just like every previous iPhone.

The only way you'll make a justifiable profit from selling a 4S is if you put it on eBay (with higher fees) and sell overseas. But then you've used up your upgrade.

8. boomish macrumors regular

Thats what I'm hoping for, the 4s is a pointless upgrade for me, but I need cheaper some cheaper 4 iphone's for the family. I love the iPhone 4, the 4s would be nice but not worth the price..

9. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

I would do this and get the ipad 2, much better investment.

10. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Well.. Let's see. I could buy a $200 16GB iPhone 4S (guessing the 16GB would sell better than the 32GB or 64GB?) and sell it on Craigslist for either $640 or $600. I'd get $640 if they became unavailable at stores, and $640 if they're still in stock but someone wants to save some money. I don't know how realistic that is though, or if I could be gaining more. It seems to be that on Craigslist people wouldn't be as willing to spend $999 (like an earlier poster mentioned in regards to selling on Ebay), even if stores are out of stock, but I could be wrong? I've only sold things on Craigslist, so I'm not sure if I want to sell on Ebay or anywhere purely online. I've heard a lot of stories about Paypal refunds and such...