How can you change the framerate of an .mpeg file from 25 fps to 23.976 fps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by douggorilla, Jul 16, 2009.

1. douggorilla macrumors newbie

I MUST know how to change the framerate of an mpeg file. I can't find any programs that can help me. Can someone help me? Thanks.

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

3. douggorilla thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the hex edit program, but could someone show me how I could change the framerate using it?

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I don't want to be rude, but did you read my post? Did you see where after I mentioned HexEdit, I followed it with a link leading to another webpage? Did you see me mentioning that there was relevant information on the webpage?

5. douggorilla thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw all that stuff, but I don't get any of it, including the relevant info. I'm really a novice at best with these types of programs. I wish someone could just tell me in laments terms how I could use hexedit to do what I want to do.

6. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Turns out it's been too long since I did it myself, since I had forgotten a very important step: first you need to split the file into separate audio and video streams.

Get bbDemux, get info on it and set it to open in Rosetta (the only way I could get it to work). Open your MPEG with that and you should get separate *.m1v and *.m1a.

Open the *.m1v file in HexEdit and you should see right at the start of the file "00 00 01 B3". The following eight numbers are what's important. I suggest you back up your *.m1v file first.

The number that sets the video is the last of the second group of eight. This should (according to theory) be a 3 in the file; change it to a 1. Save.

If you want you can open the *.m1v file in Quicktime to check the framerate.

Now you have to combine the audio and video again, which will be a bit tricky since they will be of different lengths. You can try a straight muxing (daoble with MPEG2 Works demo, tools -> mux MPEG1. If the a/v sync is off and it bothers you, you will have to adjust the length of the audio to match the video, which is a whole other can of worms...

7. douggorilla thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have Rosetta, and I can't find a download of it anywhere.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Rosetta is the PPC emulator on Intel-based Macs. If you have an Intel-based Mac, then you have Rosetta. If you have a PPC-based Mac, then you don't have it because you don't need it.

9. douggorilla thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I've read, but I've looked and looked but couldn't find it!

10. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Get Info (CMD + I) on the app and tick the box "Open using Rosetta"

11. douggorilla thread starter macrumors newbie

^I just tried that, and I don't see anything about Rosetta. Is this a Leopard-only thing? Because I still have Tiger.

12. MaTUC macrumors regular

It's not a Leopard thing... it's an Intel thing , if you're on an Intel machine you will see this in every application.. but if you are on a PPC (aka G3 , G4 , G5) Rosetta it's not there cause it's not neccesary