Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

douggorilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
I MUST know how to change the framerate of an mpeg file. I can't find any programs that can help me. Can someone help me? Thanks.

douggorilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
I got the hex edit program, but could someone show me how I could change the framerate using it?

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
I don't want to be rude, but did you read my post? Did you see where after I mentioned HexEdit, I followed it with a link leading to another webpage? Did you see me mentioning that there was relevant information on the webpage?

douggorilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
I saw all that stuff, but I don't get any of it, including the relevant info. I'm really a novice at best with these types of programs. I wish someone could just tell me in laments terms how I could use hexedit to do what I want to do.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
Turns out it's been too long since I did it myself, since I had forgotten a very important step: first you need to split the file into separate audio and video streams.

Get bbDemux, get info on it and set it to open in Rosetta (the only way I could get it to work). Open your MPEG with that and you should get separate *.m1v and *.m1a.

Open the *.m1v file in HexEdit and you should see right at the start of the file "00 00 01 B3". The following eight numbers are what's important. I suggest you back up your *.m1v file first.

The number that sets the video is the last of the second group of eight. This should (according to theory) be a 3 in the file; change it to a 1. Save.

If you want you can open the *.m1v file in Quicktime to check the framerate.

Now you have to combine the audio and video again, which will be a bit tricky since they will be of different lengths. You can try a straight muxing (daoble with MPEG2 Works demo, tools -> mux MPEG1. If the a/v sync is off and it bothers you, you will have to adjust the length of the audio to match the video, which is a whole other can of worms...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I don't have Rosetta, and I can't find a download of it anywhere.
Rosetta is the PPC emulator on Intel-based Macs. If you have an Intel-based Mac, then you have Rosetta. If you have a PPC-based Mac, then you don't have it because you don't need it.

douggorilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Rosetta is the PPC emulator on Intel-based Macs. If you have an Intel-based Mac, then you have Rosetta. If you have a PPC-based Mac, then you don't have it because you don't need it.

That's what I've read, but I've looked and looked but couldn't find it!

douggorilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
^I just tried that, and I don't see anything about Rosetta. Is this a Leopard-only thing? Because I still have Tiger.

MaTUC

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
Santiago de Chile
^I just tried that, and I don't see anything about Rosetta. Is this a Leopard-only thing? Because I still have Tiger.

It's not a Leopard thing... it's an Intel thing , if you're on an Intel machine you will see this in every application.. but if you are on a PPC (aka G3 , G4 , G5) Rosetta it's not there cause it's not neccesary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.