How can you create an audio delay?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iemcj, Jun 23, 2016.

1. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

I play a lot of movies from my mac out to my tv. The super annoying problem is there's always a disconnect between the mouthes and their voices, the tv is a a split second behind. I know by using vlc you can press G or F to adjust an audio delay but this doens't help me with itunes movies playing or when streaming youtube ect. Is there a way to set a 200ms audio delay?? Thanks guys!

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

My Vizio TV has a Lip Sync setting that can do this. Maybe look for something similar on your TV?

3. iemcj, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016

iemcj thread starter macrumors 6502

iemcj

Well I'm outputting audio from the 3.5mm headphone jack so unfortunately that won't work. Like I said, If I'm playing a mp4 file or something through vlc it takes a single keystroke to delay the audio by 200ms but that only applies to vlc, doesn't help for itunes or anything system wide. :(

4. Tech198 macrumors G4

only way i can see is with third party software.. Audio Hi-jack

5. iemcj thread starter macrumors 6502

iemcj

Hmm. Would that be altering the files themselves or just the flow of audio out to the speakers? If it's the later then awesome! If it's the former then sad face, I have catalogs worth of movies and home videos and tvshows and the logistics just wouldn't mesh up. Alas, Thanks man!

6. McScooby macrumors 6502

How do u connect the mac to the tv, component?

7. iemcj thread starter macrumors 6502

iemcj

Woops sorry for the delay!!

Anyways, I have the video going out the back of the imac, thunderbolt to hdmi cable straight into my tv. My tv doesn't have a frickin 3.5mm headphone jack output (even though it's a 2 year old 1600 dollar tv wtf???) so if I want to use my sound system, I have to output audio straight from my computer. The problem is the imput lag of about 150-200ms on the tv is messing up the lip sync, the audio is happening before the video on the tv.

Does that make sense?

8. McScooby macrumors 6502

Audio HiJack sounds clunky as always has to be open & costs $60 etc. I assume that whilst your tv has no headphone / RCA out, it does have an optical? If so amazon etc will happily sell u a digital optical coax to analog RCA audio converter for approx $15, that should do the trick & if u ever opted for an :apple:TV u can use it on that also.