How can you cut files & folders in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tom2france, Jun 5, 2010.

1. tom2france macrumors newbie

Dear All,

We are evaluating the Mac OS, to assess the pros and cons of a switch. This is one of 2 major problems our secretarial pool has identified as needing to be resolved. Without the option to cut, and then paste a single file, or multiple files, or even entire folders, there is an enormous hit in productivity.

the major problem is when you wish to move multiple files at one time. Currently, it requires returning over and over to the same folders, and laboriously resorting, re-identifying and then deleting the copied files. It is impossible to remember accurately multiple file names, and, frankly, it is silly to need to.

Within Windows, you simply select files to move by holding down 'control', and then cut and past those files into a new folder. Even Linux can handle this.

The are hundreds of reasons, when in a business setting with numerous administrative staff managing hundreds of interlinked projects, that you need to quickly and easily rearrange how files and folders are classified, inlcuding changing how files are grouped. This has already caused major problems, as duplicates unknowingly have been created (i.e. not remembering to delete all moved files) which has caused secretaries on different shifts or teams to open the 'old' but still present version of the file. Change are then made on 2 files, wasting enormous amounts of time to then go back and reconcile changes.

It would be nice if folks offered a practical workaround to this. It is not reasonable to expect hard-working admin staff, or professional staff, to waste time on this, when the solution is to include such a basic file management option. It is, frankly, shameful that there is such a resistance to even offering this time-saving option. Or is that everyone feels secretaries and others who work in the services industry are too unimportant to bother with?

If command+X works for text, it obviously could work for file management. How about public health workers and staff a break?

Is there an easily understood workaround (i.e. for those who have a full time job to do,in stead of wasting time relearning, so that we cut and paste as in a Linux, dos or windows environment?

Thank you
    Tom

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe have a look at the already existing threads about Cut & Paste.

But if that is something to hold you back from purchasing Mac OS X, then better stay with Windows.

Btw, one could use two windows in Finder, and select the files and folders to "cut", hit CMD+C (CTRL+C in Windows), go to the other window and select the folder to be used as new place for the files and folders to reside in, hit CMD+V (CTRL+V), wait til the process is done and select the source window and hit CMD+BACKSPACE (to delete).
    But if the files/folders reside on the same HDD, cut and paste is not needed, but simply using Drag and Drop.

3. tom2france thread starter macrumors newbie

Did not really answer the problem.

There is not a backspace key, just a delete key, on our macs. We are willing to try this, but it is still a hassle when moving files and folders around frequently.

BTW, this lack of a separate backspace key had been another gripe, until we figured out Fn + delete for forward deleting, and that Mac's 'delete' does what a windows 'backspace' key will do".

If i hit Command + 'Backspace' for your example, what is the actual 'backspace' key i need to press on a mac keyboard?

Thank you.
    Tom

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some Mac keyboards had a dedicated backspace key. Others don't.
    If you want to move the cursor position in text, but not delete, use the arrow keys.
    If you want to delete text to the left, use the Delete key.
    If you want to delete text to the right, use fn+Delete.

Mac OS X is not Windows. It's unreasonable to expect them to be identical in function. Take the time to learn how Mac OS X works, if you care. If not, stay with Windows.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. tom2france thread starter macrumors newbie

Obviously we know how to move around a text document: I am the one who gave the example!!!

The Command + Backspace shortcut was provided as a reference to deleting files in finder. Is there any OTHER key combination that will do that function IN FINDER, if the keyboard does not have backspace key

I am trying to be polite, and would appreciate the same. We are making an effort to learn something new, and on our weekend, without pay. If you feel that is easy, why don't you try learning a part of our job: we are working to support multiple physicians at a major hospital for children. Maybe your tolerance for our difficulties in learning completely new skills would increase a bit, if you saw how bravely these kids face learning how to take diseases and illness, and how patient our doctors and nurses are in teaching them about something that matters. Software/hardware should help, or get out of the way of, our work.

Thank you
    Tom

Thank you, very much. That was all i needed. I'll delete my account now.
    Best regards,
    Tom

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sorry you had problems. I read your OP and you seem to basically want to be able to cut and paste like Windows. However, then all the posts were about keys on keyboards, so it doesn’t seem like you got an answer.

You can see my post here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9225498&postcount=28

Doing that should be all you need.

8. coops macrumors regular

tom2france -

You'll need to purchase an alternative file manager - Pathfinder at
    http://www.cocoatech.com/

Will give you dual-pane ability (if you choose/want it - up to you) along with the 'standard' computing keyboard shortcuts to move files of command-x and the paste with command-v (and usual keyboard shortcuts for copying).
    Try it out first....

mucommander is a free option, also.

Give them a try.

Coops

9. tom2france thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Dear Coops and Aggie,
    Thank you for the helpful advice. We'll take a look at both and see how we can learn/adapt.
    Cheers! Tom