How can you get a program to load earlier on bootup?

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I'm running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 on a late 2011 MBP. I use a Logitech mouse with it, and rely on the Logitech Control Center software to configure the mouse speed/acceleration (I don't like the Mac OS X acceleration, guess I'm too used to Windows).

The problem is that every time I boot up and log in, the mouse pointer will be extremely slow for about a minute, because it takes a minute before Mac OS X loads the Logitech Control Center. Is there any way to get Mac OS X to load it earlier?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 68040
Mar 10, 2011
I'm running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 on a late 2011 MBP. I use a Logitech mouse with it, and rely on the Logitech Control Center software to configure the mouse speed/acceleration (I don't like the Mac OS X acceleration, guess I'm too used to Windows).

The problem is that every time I boot up and log in, the mouse pointer will be extremely slow for about a minute, because it takes a minute before Mac OS X loads the Logitech Control Center. Is there any way to get Mac OS X to load it earlier?
Have you contacted Logitech to find out if they have a solution?

Comment

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Have you contacted Logitech to find out if they have a solution?
I just discovered that the problem occurs because I have the "Reopen windows when logging back in" box checked when I restart. If I uncheck that box and then restart, then the Logitech Control Center loads almost immediately when I log in.

But it is still strange behavior for there to be about a one minute delay when I have the "Reopen windows when logging back in" box checked. For example I just did the following experiment:

I restarted with 6 Firefox windows open and Activity Monitor open and had checked the "Reopen windows..." box. Then when I logged back in, all 6 Firefox windows and the Activity Monitor finished loading in 10 seconds or less. However the Logitech Control Center still took about 1 full minute before it loaded. I was watching the processes in the Activity Monitor, and during that minute there was no activity at all while I waited for the Logitech Control Center to load, and then all of a sudden 7 different processes loaded at the same time (backgroundinstruments, warmd_agent, imagent, AirPort Base Station Agent, Logitech Control Center Daemon, EpsonLowInkReminderAgent, and iTunes Helper). So it's not just the Logitech Control Center that is delayed by one minute - it's some Apple processes as well. Why would those processes take a minute before they load, when the Firefox windows and Activity Monitor finished loading after just 10 seconds?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.