How can you get iTunes to store its database file on a network?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by goodcow, Mar 20, 2008.

1. goodcow macrumors 6502a

There are several computers here with multiple users, all of which have their own local accounts per machine.

For iTunes, the music will be stored on a network, which will auto-attach at login. Setting up iTunes to point to the network location, that's easy, and it copies music there.

However, iTunes still seems to insist on keeping its library database local, and then of course, moving from machine to machine, that user's library doesn't follow them, even if the music does because it stays on the network.

Is there a way to make iTunes store its library database somewhere other than the local home folder?

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I just found this post in a google search as I am wondering the same thing. Has anyone ever found a way to do this, get a Mac to use an iTunes database that is hosted on a network file share (in my case SMB)?

3. wkearney99 macrumors member

wkearney99

Don't know if you can do it from the GUI but you might try creating a symbolic link to the files on the network share (using a terminal session to do it).

4. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Someone else recommended relocating the iTunes folder on my Mac to the network share, then removing it on the Mac, then starting up iTunes and selecting the share location.

It might involve having to mass find/replace all of the file paths though.

Haven't tried it yet, but sounds like a pretty good solution.