How can you keep programs off your desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by je1ani, Oct 29, 2007.

1. je1ani macrumors 6502

Anytime I open MSN messenger or VLC I have their program put up on my desktop.. and when I close it it goes away.. is there anyway I can opena program without it mounting itself on my desktop?

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Drag the application to your applications folder.

I assume your opening a file that ends with ".dmg", open that, then drag the application inside that folder to you "Applications" folder. Then eject the folder that appeared on your desktop and open the application from inside your "Applications" folder instead.

3. je1ani thread starter macrumors 6502

ok I did that.. but everytime I click the msn icon on my dock... a dmg file opens up on the desktop

4. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Did you not copy the application from the dmg to your applications folder (or anywhere on your mac)? The icon in your dock may lead to the one in your dmg and not your mac.

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Basically in a slightly simpler explanation:

The file in your dock will link to the ".dmg".

You need to mount the .dmg and drag the MSN file (or other application) to your desktop or applications folder (It doesnt matter where aslong as its not in the .dmg)

Then you can eject the .dmg (right click eject or drag it to the trash (which will have turnd into an eject icon))

Then remove the current icon of MSN from your dock (click on it and hold and drag it from the dock, you hosuld then hear a "whoosh" and a puff of smoke!)

Then add the MSN file you added to your desktop or applications folder to the dock

Click on this and it should simply open the application and not the .dmg image.

If this works you can then place the MSN messenger.dmg into the bin as it is no longer needed!

Hope this helps!

Thanks