How can you stand posting on these forums?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Corbet, May 14, 2008.

1. Corbet macrumors member

I've been reading MacRumors for the longest time and recently started visiting the forums. One thing I notice is every other thread is "should I get Apple product ______ now? What will the new features be?" It's pretty annoying.

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Do you think there will be a new MacBook in June or should I go ahead and purchase a Dell?

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

There's going to be a new product release next Tuesday.

4. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

5. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

it's the same on any product community/support forum. Few search to see if the thread has been done before, everyone wants individual attention. It goes with the territory.

Of the few Mac-only message boards, this is by far the most populated and informative. If you're not comfortable with it - I'm sure there is an alternative somewhere.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

One is certainly always welcome to not post here. ;)

Please consider the move of this thread to the Feedback forum instead of the Wasteland to be a sign of humoring you, however, although the latter move is still not out of the question. ;)

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

People don't know how to decide what they want/need and believe Apple's hardware specifications are written in some foreign language.

If you don't like a thread then just don't post in it.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Generous of you, I might not have been as nice.

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I think a lot of it has to do with people seeking validation for their decisions, added to an omniscience granted regular MR members. I can't really blame them for the second part, honestly.

But yes, it does get a little tiresome reading essentially the same thread twenty times a day.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

while there are a lot of repetitive threads, there is also a lot of information contained in these forums that are very helpful and useful. its a trade off.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You might want to read some of the other threads on similar subjects as well.

newbie forum

Haven't I Answered This One Already?

I see a lot of new threads created everyday that I could answer. I've made guides that never get read. MacRumors is a great place for information but it seems that it's terrible for creating a library of data when few read the guides.

I've found it best to just not post in the annoying and aggravating threads. :p

Is it selfish not to post when you know the answers?

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There is more to this site than just Apple, you don't have to just read everything about the iPhone.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A lot of people are nervous about making the wrong decision, even though buying without knowing the future is usually the case for a consumer. People want to describe their unique circumstances and ask for specific advice, and the answer is usually the tradeoffs and guesswork that made them worry in the first place.

Once there are a few threads about making a given purchase decision, people who actually take the time to search before posting may not know which thread to read, so they start their own, compounding the problem.

We merge or close duplicate threads when we can, but we'll always have to live with a certain level of thread duplication in a dynamic site with so many users, and so many different overlapping circumstances. A smaller forum would have less of this messiness, but less total information to provide.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't see the problem being the threads as much as the title used. It is hard to search when the title of the thread is so obscure that it makes searching impossible. If you know what your question is ask it clearly so someone can help.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It's a big place with a lot to offer. You have to take the good with the bad sometimes.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

When the moderators spot thread titles that give too little information they often add a description to the end of the title. They put the new text in parentheses to distinguish it from the original title, e.g.,
    Need help (burning audio CD)​

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, it's not selfish at all. However, I think >10% of my posts at MR have been in the Buying Help section.

I always feel a bit weird that some of the regulars don't help out, especially the ones who have been here the longest. I feel that it's almost my duty as someone who has been here for 6 years, just to give back to MacRumours in a small way by making 1 or 2 "charity posts" in that forum.

You shouldn't feel guilty about not helping, but if all the regulars just chatted in the Community section, or all Demi-Gods never left the Private forum, this wouldn't be a great place. You need to talk to the new people, and the old to know everything that's going on. It's just my opinion, anyway.

Don't feel guilty about not helping. It's definitely aggravating sometimes.

18. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I haven't been a member here for years, so I can't speak to the aggravation of repeatedly reading similar questions being asked over and over again. But as a noOb, I find myself recycling the information I've read, and providing it to other noObs, as well as adding a bit of my own experiences after having taken said advice.

Life is full of annoyances, and I don't see how this particular form can or will be eliminated. Personally, I really appreciate the people who lend assistance, be it for the first time, or in the form of linking to one of the last times they gave the same advice. I do use the search feature, which is why I've only actually started a topic maybe 3 times since joining. The answers are there, and I'm willing to put in the small amount of time to find them.

On the other hand, I can easily understand how those who are unaware of how to search, locate the guides that are highly visible, or are just plain lazy, are apt to start new (repetitive) topics. It's just plain easier for them. Since I don't see this changing ever, I'll just transform any pending energy from exasperation into tolerance, and remember how clueless I was when I first joined (not that I'm not now!).

To me, finding this site was like finding a gold mine of information, and a relief in knowing any future purchases of this nature will come with the comfort of knowing there is help out there, and I won't be merely relying on sheer luck. So, thanks to those of you who do go out of your way to help. I appreciate you.

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

How can you stand posting on these forums?

Of course I can! I enjoy posting and reading the MR forums - I just don't have a lot of time to do so as of late. :)

That said, if people would search more often, it would make life better... ;) :D

20. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Sure it is frustrating to see the same thing over and over again (Matte vs. Glossy anyone? LOL), but I really like to look for people who have questions and really need help.

It makes you feel good to know you helped someone resolve a problem, or get their Mac to do something they didn't know it could do.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so guys should i get a mb or mbp? seriously now lol jkjkjkjk

or a laptop or desktop??? i would like to be able to move it but i dont need to that often but would be nice lol

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The worst possible thread

"Hi everyone. I'm new here at MacRumors and I have a Mac question. Should I post here about it?"

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Or this one...

Why should I buy a Mac?
    I am happy with Windows and I can get a machine with better specs for much less.

Convince me to buy a Mac.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

24. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Here is some that bothers me.

Your monitor sucks, it isn't s-pva or s-ips. Your refresh rates are horrible, the colors won't come out right.

For god sakes, all I am doing is a little photoshop and gaming. You think the printer of mine is going to be correct? What about the printers at the press, don't you think their settings might be off? What about when I drive home, won't the sun light do something to the print?

What about everyone else that surf the web? Their monitors settings are everywhere.

You speakers suck, get audiophile stuff.

Most people source of audio is not going to be lossless or uncompressed 192 Khz audio from Protools HD.

Feel free to add to the list.