HOw can you suggest products to apple?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by iPowers, Feb 14, 2008.

1. iPowers macrumors 6502

I was thinking of ideas of products apple could make and I wanted to ask if you guys knew how to suggest it to them where could I go to find it?

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Basically, companies don't want you to write them with product ideas. It protects them from someone suing them later saying they stole their idea and didn't give them credit. The most likely response you'll get from Apple or most any other company would be something to the effect of, "Sorry, but please don't do this again."

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Right here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

You have to leave a valid e-mail and fill out all the info. They don't send anything back.

I usually ask for certain TV shows, Music Videos, etc.

The last product suggestion I made was right after the announcement of the iPhone, I suggested a phoneless version... :p

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

5. cyberjunky macrumors regular

And how exactly do you propose apple gets some of the ideas for new improvements?

Apple listens to its customers and if they didnt then we would be getting our computers from whomever did.

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Shouldn't that be "with perfect grammar?" :p :D

Apple listens to complaints, of course, but they're not going to take an entirely new idea from some random customer who might later say it was stolen.

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

A large part of it is market research, which they pay to acquire, meaning that anything that comes from that research is theirs to use.

But companies generally don't want unsolicited product ideas. Oh my gosh, wouldn't you know that Apple agrees with me. :)

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

But it goes on to say:

So, they do welcome things like "Please put more memory in the Touch", a "smaller Mini", or "Blu-ray drives in your computers".

More like feedback of the obvious nature.

What they are assertive about is some unique and advanced design that no one, not even them, has thought about. Now you get into creative ownership issues...

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Right...which sounds a lot like what the original poster is talking about, or am I wrong? It sounds like the OP is talking about new products.

10. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

Last time someone tried that, they got a letter from Apple's legal department telling her to stop. A 3rd grader. :p

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Sending a nasty letter to a 3rd-grader sounds bad, but it is necessary. No reputable company will risk a potentially billion-dollar lawsuit by accepting unsolicited ideas for new products. If the OP thinks that he has a great idea, then he should secure financing to develop it. His great idea will make him rich if it catches on.

12. cyberjunky macrumors regular

If your trying to suggest that a company is afraid of taking suggestions from its consumers in the unlikely event of them being sued for receiving the idea then your wrong, thats what patents are for. If they dont protect their idea its their fault and their loss. People do and people will submit feedback, ideas, suggestions whatever you want to call it, people will, and it helps drive product innovation.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

gkarris explained this above.

No. Patents protect developments from unauthorized acquisition by others. The danger of unsolicited product ideas is the exact opposite. If an unsolicited idea subsequently becomes successful, then the inventor may claim that he sold the idea for less than its true value because Apple mislead him. Other companies have lost such lawsuits. OTOH, if Apple examines and rejects an outside idea, then it risk a lawsuit if it releases a similar product later.

The bottomline is that if Apple were to accept unsolicited outside product ideas, then it would should build an office complex dedicated to patent law firms on its Cupertino campus. There will be a lot of demand for attorneys to represent "inventors" who claim that Apple stole their ideas.

14. cyberjunky macrumors regular

Fair enough, guess i never noticed that page on the apple website before.