How can you tell if an apple product is "renewed"?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Starfyre, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I see that any Apple products that are "refurbished"/"renewed" get new packaging... but how can one tell if it was refurb or brand new without opening up the box? Is there no visible distinction between the outer packaging since they both get new packaging?

2. Erehy Dobon macrumors regular

Erehy Dobon

Apple does not package refurbished units in retail boxes. There is clear distinction; how they do this has changed over the years but Apple always makes it clear.

Most recently I bought a refurbished Mac mini 2018 a few months ago. It was packaged in a white box that EXPLICITLY stated "Apple Certified Refurbished" on the top.

A few years ago I purchased another refurb device that was packaged in a brown cardboard box, clearly not a retail unit.

3. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Okay, that sticker explicitly stating I think is the key. I was looking here:

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/about

Refurbished iOS devices will come with new battery and outer shell. Every device will come with all accessories, cables and operating systems.1 All Apple Certified Refurbished products are packaged in a brand new white box and will be sent to you with free shipping and returns.

Didn't say anything about the statement, which made me a little skeptical.

4. babens macrumors member

The brand new white box is a plain white box without any of the graphics or design elements you would find on the new retail packaging.

5. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre