How can you tell if iOS wireless is connected 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz from the device

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by nim6us, Jan 23, 2016.

1. nim6us macrumors member

nim6us

I did a fair amount searching and was unable to find what I thought should be a quick answer. I need to know if my iPhone or iPad is connecting at 2.4 or 5 GHz. I saw a lot of answers that pointed you to the router/modem/gateway, however I want to know if the iOS device can tell you somewhere in settings, or if perhaps there's an app?

2. rshrugged, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016

rshrugged macrumors 6502a

I think the only way natively is to establish different network names at the router for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Then you can check at your device to which one you're connected.

Don't know about an app.

3. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

As @rshrugged stated, naming your networks differently is the only way. For example, simon_network (2.4GHz) and simon_network_1 (5 GHz) would be the best way to tell (or any other variation).

4. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

your Router can tell you everything - as long as he is in contact with accepted devices.

5. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Yeah I just have the two SSID broadcasts named differently according to their frequency.

There actually is zero need for me to have a 5GHz broadcast going lol, my internet is so bad only 15mbps down and 1 up, so I will see no benefits of going up to 5GHz. My router is capable of it though so I figured "why not". I don't live in a densely populated place (apartment complex) so 2.4GHz isn't conjested or anything. I get the same speeds on both frequencies. I doubt this is how it works but I figured of most of my family is using the 2.4GHz band, maybe the 5GHz one won't be slowed down as bad but I don't know.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If you are in another room from your router you are (almost certainly) connected by 2.4Ghz.:D

7. anzio macrumors 6502

Not necessarily. 802.11ac is 5GHz only. I'm always on 802.11ac even away from the room the router is placed in.

8. WJKramer macrumors 6502

...and how do you know you are on ac?

9. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Same, I stay connected to my specific 5GHz SSID broadcast through my whole house. Now, I live in a very compact (nice way of saying small) house, so. But 5GHz does penetrate walls, just not as well as 2.4GHz. I still get 2-3 bars through the whole upstairs, which is right above the very centralized, and if I do say so myself, well-placed router.

10. anzio macrumors 6502

Hold Option while clicking Wi-Fi indicator on OS X. AirPort Utility gives me other information for iOS devices.