iPad How can you tell the difference between Air and Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tekchic, Oct 28, 2014.

1. tekchic, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Husband ordered an Air 2 - the order says Air 2. The box and the invoice just say "Air" and the part number matches the invoice.

Is there a definitive way of telling the difference between the two models? I understand the logic behind the box just saying "Air" these days but it's going to make it a pain to figure out which model it actually is now.

EDIT: I'd say to compare the thickness of mine (Air) vs his -- but my Air is here at work with me. Wanted to make sure it gets cleared up before the end of the business day.

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

3. tekchic thread starter macrumors 65816

tekchic

THANK YOU! Can't believe I forgot about that. :)

4. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Also, the home button looks different because of Touch ID.

5. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

6. ozshadow macrumors regular

Also, Air box has very slightly angled pic on top. Air 2 is absolute side profile, no angle.

7. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Push on the back right side area of the iPad. If you see ripples on the screen, then it is an Air 2. If you don't see ripples then its Original Air.

You can also determine by turning up the volume of the device while listening to music or a show. If the iPad vibrates like a video game controller, then its an Air 2, if it doesn't, then its an Air.

You can also look at the charger that comes with the iPad. If the charger says 10w, then its Air 2, if it says 12w, then its Air.

And finally, look for a switch above the volume buttons. If theres a mute toggle switch, its an Air, if theres no switch, its Air 2.

8. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

1. My ipad air 2's screen does not distort when applying pressure to the back
    2. the original air also vibrates with the volume up

9. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

And then you return it due to all these highlights after reading way too many MR threads...

10. derekgroves macrumors member

Then you're in denial. Let me come visit and I'm quite certain I can demonstrate the LCD ripple for you, on *any* Air 2. It's not necessarily a defect, it's just an inherent property of the housing being that thin. But don't pretend it's not present.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Why would anyone press as hard as you need to do to make the screen ripple? That's like purposely bending your iPhone 6.

12. piriawan macrumors newbie

What? It vibrates? Really?

I thought the only iDevice that vibrates are the iPhones...

13. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Way to hijack a thread when there's already an ongoing thread about screen distortions and another one about volume vibrations. Luckily someone already gave the OP the correct answer, which is the lack of mute button.

If it's gold that would also be another indicator. ;)

14. addictzz macrumors 6502

If you order the gold color, the color is reflected in the box. Air doesn't have gold color option