How can you transfer music on iPod to MBP w/o syncing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aniej, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

The issue is that there are recordings on an iPod that I want to transfer to my MBP, but I can't do it through syncing b/c of a weird situation where the files are set up to delete if synced. Please do not take this thread on a tangent and address why the files delete, if you want I will set up a separate thread to discuss and explain, but I am looking for an answer here.

The most pathetic way I could think of doing it was using my large headphones to play the audio loudly above the MBP while using the MBP's internal mic to record, but that is a pretty terrible option.

Is there some way to run an audio line in from the iPod to the MBP and then simply record off of an application that records audio? Also, recommendations for freeware recoding apps would be much appreciated as well.

2. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Can't understand the question myself but some free recording apps are Audacity, (very highly rated) and there might even be one on your mac called "Sound Studio", then there's Audio Hijack.

Otherwise just set the ipod to not sync and drag the files over that you want.

EDIT: just noticed this
    I don't think a 10 minute wait necessitates a 'bump'

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

4. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

Let me check it out and see if that is useful on the utility side of things. The part I am still unsure of is how to get the recording which is on the iPod into the Mac or recorded somehow.

5. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

I used Sentui to take all my music off my iPod and put it on my new MacBook. Worked great.

6. capoeirista macrumors 6502

Senuti

I third that. I've used Senuti a couple of times with new computers, it works great!

7. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

ok let me modify this question by eliminating the application aspect of the original question. is there a way to run an audio in line essentially to the MBP and record what is being played?

what does senuti do that syncing does not, i don't quite get this app?

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Senuti allows you to browse all the files on an iPod.

And yes all you need to record from the iPod to a Mac is a cable with a stereo minijack connection on each end. Connect it to the LINE IN on your Mac, and you can record with Garage Band or QT Pro...

9. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

10. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

ok I have the audio line plugged into the iPod head phone and it is running to the MBP. I have garageband open. But I don't know what to do from there. Am I ever able to hear the sound that is coming out of the iPod? I'm sorry if this sounds too basic, but I really don't know this stuff at all. Thanks

11. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

I would use Sentui, when you hook in your iPod into your MBP, don't sync iPod with iTunes (this comes up in a window). Press cancel.

Next Launch Sentui. It will read you iPod music files. Drag the songs you want into the iTunes library. Both Libraries show up in the Sentui left hand pane, it looks like the iTunes pane.

This will allow you to take all your songs off your iPod and put them into you iTunes library without synching your iPod to iTunes.

I did this with my iPod and new MB, but I took all my songs off my iPod this way. After I made sure all songs were in the iTunes folder, I re-connected my iPod to the MB and sync'ed it. That way my iPod is now linked to my new MB. I think this is the easiest route.