How capable are the integrated graphics on the MBP 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marcos8, Jun 22, 2017.

1. marcos8 macrumors newbie

I believe I will be in the market soon for a new computer and find the 13" MBP very appealing. The size/form factor is great. My question though is how capable is the integrated graphics on the 13 compared to the 15. Currently I am no power user but that's also because I'm only on an iPad right now. I'd like to do photo editing, but not a lot of video. Of course I do a ton of internet etc with videos playing from the web/YouTube etc... I just do want to fall into the trap of thinking I need upgraded graphics of the 15" (and the price that goes into that if I don't need it). I do though intend to hang on to the computer as long as possible and don't want a sluggish incapable machine in a year or two. It's just the 13" form factor suits me better. I will probably max out the ram option to 16gb because I can. Thanks

2. pallymore macrumors regular

pallymore

according to benchmarks, they are not not very capable.
    if you need to do any 3D graphic intensive work - you will need to upgrade.

3. brian3uk macrumors 6502

Basically, if you're a simple photo editor and net surfer it'll probably be fine but don't expect much more than that. I bought the no-touch version and actually returned it a few days later. I didn't expect much out of it but trying to play a pretty basic game (WoW) was miserable. It also got VERY warm, to the point the keyboard was a uncomfortable to the touch. The touch bar version has slightly more power and the extra fan and vents, so if anything make sure you get one with a touch bar.

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

The integrated graphics are fine for photo editing and web videos, it won't be an issue. As @pallymore said, mostly 3D is going to tax it. The things you mentioned generally don't hit the GPU very hard.

5. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

I got a 13 inch,works well for photo edit and video watching,also work with video games that's not too hard on graphics. Of course,it cannot do everything,but it's ok for me.

6. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

there were some videos showing GTA V on the MBP 2016 13" that ran "just fine".