How careful should I be with iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Nov 26, 2014.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

I just got an iPhone 6 and I have a tech 21 case on it. Last night my wife who is a bit heavy (she's 8 months pregnant, don't judge) sat on my lap. She barely missed sitting on my iPhone and at first I was worried that the cloth of my jeans being pulled tight would bend the phone. Since it's my understanding that that was originally causing "bendgate". Do I need to be more careful with it or can my iPhone 6 take it?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is hard to tell. It is all about physics. If you phone were to be sideways on your leg and you wife sat on it, I guess it could bend.

A friend of mine bent his 5S by bumping into a table edge while walking by. It can be just like dropping, sometimes it damages the phone and other times not.

The luck of physics. :rolleyes:

3. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luckily it was lengthwise. And I was hoping the case would have protected it from physics #

So far it seems ok. Haven't removed the case but it's not bulging anywhere

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Being thinner, there's a greater chance that it will bend. I move my phone out of the way either pushing it aside in my pocket or removing it from my pocket if one of my kids wants to sit on my lap.

5. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luckily it was off to the side. She just barely missed it. Which is good. But then I was worried that the extra pressure from my jeans being pulled tight might cause it to bend. But from what Ike reading the areas point is just below the volume buttons. My jeans would be crushing it more than bending it at that pivot point.bplus she was only on my lap for a minute or 2.

6. techspin macrumors 6502a

If we're talking mama June here, then no, I wouldn't suggest risking it. Unless the pressure is uniform, placing a heavy, moving object on your phone should probably be avoided.

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Be no more careful then you were with your old phone

8. the caveman macrumors 6502

Short answer is yes

9. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh heck no. She's heavier but it's not like she has her own gravitational field. And like I said she didn't sit directly on it. Just caused my jeans to pull tight.

10. applephanatic macrumors member

I really love my iPhone 6 ( I have had every iteration of iPhone since the 3G) and this is by far my favorite phone, although one handed selfies have become a bit of a challenge :rolleyes: . I actually had to bring my iPhone into the apple store the other day because of separation of glass from the body, Apparently the phone had bent! The genius and I both had a chuckle about it. HE told me that it wasn't my fault and that the bend came from when the phone was on a flat surface and pressure was placed on the screen. He said because the camera sticks out it creates unevenness, if pressure is applied in the correct sport it can bend! I was given a new phone for free and all was right in my little world :p. So as for your question, I do not think you have anything to worry about, as long as there is not glass cracking or sign of an impact point and your phone does bend for whatever reason you should be fine. But just enjoy your phone!!

11. techspin macrumors 6502a

That's a bit inappropriate for MR. :p

12. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

TBH with you, I don't even keep my phone in my pocket if I'm sitting. I guess with all the bendgate stuff and me having the plus, I got a little paranoid.

Don't worry, in a few months you'll be worrying about drool on your phone instead of it bending. ;)

13. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Just be more careful...unless you have insurance, in which case play catch with it, and let the kids chew on it. :)

14. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have insurance but I would rather not need to use it. I laid it on the table face down and there is no discernible wobble.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would take it out if your pocket before your wife sits on your lap again.

16. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah that's the plan. There really wasn't any warming this past time

17. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

iPhone 6 should hold up fine. Especially from pants pressure so I wouldn't worry.

18. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I guess the YouTube videos kinda freaked me out.

19. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

yeah, all Youtube and all testings are lies and fully paid off by Samsung.

your iPhone will not bend with 23lb of force at weak point.

your iPhone is not one of the easiest bent phone in the market.

all those bend iPhone pictures are photoshopped and Samsung/Google employee.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef