How choice net for each program

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kayburns, Sep 9, 2010.

1. kayburns macrumors newbie

I always use the two network at same time.
    one is Ethernet, the other is Airport.

Now i want to set Mail program go through the Ethernet, and Safari go through Airport.

Any one know how to do the setting or use some command??:apple:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

When you have Mail open, turn off Airport. When you open Safari, unplug your ethernet cable.

3. kayburns thread starter macrumors newbie

I need use them at the same time. Thats can not solve my problem.

4. larkost macrumors 6502a

I don't think that this is possible without access to the source code (which you don't have unless you build your own version of WebKit), and is probably not going to get you any advantage even if it were. What are you really trying to accomplish... goals not methods.

5. kayburns thread starter macrumors newbie

Mail need use Ethernet to receive the company mails, and our company ethernet can not support Internet access, but we have wireless network can access Internet.
    I can not always plug in and unplug the net cable.
    My goal is Mail use the ethernet, Safari use the Wireless network at same time.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well then get coding. You can't do this without turning off the WiFi or unplugging the cable through any method other than unplugging/turning WiFi on/off.

7. kayburns thread starter macrumors newbie

no other method? Why OS can not support this function just like setting for Spaces.
    That's terrible!!

8. TJones macrumors regular

This sounds like a weird routing issue. You want to route you private corporate subnet to it's gateway and everything else 0.0.0.0 to the gateway for your internet access. Presumably on the wi-fi.

Routing tables like to take the 'fastest' network and use that as it's default for 0.0.0.0 so a 100 base T or gigabit network interface will always trump a 802.11b/g/n when the tables automatically adjust.

So say your corp network is 10.0.0.0 with a gateway of 10.0.0.1 and another network 192.168.0.0 with gateway 192.168.0.1 which is the wireless network with access to the internet. Then you'd want to tweak your routing table so that

10.0.0.0/8 -> 10.0.0.1 (should already be there)
    and
    192.168.0.0/24 -> 192.168.0.1 (should also already be there)

And then to catch everything else which would include internet stuff
    0.0.0.0 -> 192.168.0.1 (in OS X I think they call it 'default')

I know netstat -r shows the routing table but I don't know how to change the routes in OS X. Maybe a google search will help.

9. kayburns thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I have resolve this by change route.
    :):):):):):):):):)