How clean and easy is upgrade to Lion?

strang

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
I have a bunch of things installed to /usr/local/ and I also updated the Apache build on my Mac. Should've used /usr/local/ for that too but I just kind of installed the new build on top using the Darwin layout. Should I be worried?

I wouldn't mind if Lion killed my custom Apache install, so long as /usr/local/ is kept intact. I can always redo the Apache setup (this time I'll use /usr/local/). Can anyone with similar setup comment?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I have a bunch of things installed to /usr/local/ and I also updated the Apache build on my Mac. Should've used /usr/local/ for that too but I just kind of installed the new build on top using the Darwin layout. Should I be worried?

I wouldn't mind if Lion killed my custom Apache install, so long as /usr/local/ is kept intact. I can always redo the Apache setup (this time I'll use /usr/local/). Can anyone with similar setup comment?
As system files I would be concerned if you don't want them overwritten. Your best bet is to clone your system and copy any needed files after the install.

Comment

strang

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
I'm going to do the upgrade first. But I suspect I'll just do a clean install of Lion (using my own USB drive) and then start using Homebrew.

It's really just Git. It's nothing I'd cry about losing cause getting that stuff back is simple.

Comment