Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lenkbron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
I received a new Ultra some days ago as part of an exchange because of a problem with my Trail Loop.

The new watch has a fairly intense clicking noise when pressing the Action Button as shown in the video. I can’t remember my previous watch making any noise at all, to be honest, or if it did, it wasn’t that noticeable.
Also the Button on the other side has a more prominent click than i can remember from the previous one.

The buttons work like intended, although especially the Action Button feels a little bit cheap because of how it sounds.

How’s your Ultra‘s? Don’t know if it’s worth it to ho to Apple an let it check.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Mine is the same. It's a small metal button surrounded by rubber that makes contact with another button inside the watch. If I lightly tap it I can hear it hitting the button inside. Pressing it all the way is fine. They could have done a little better with the tolerances but it is what it is.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
No I think it’s just tolerance issues with the side buttons hitting the internal button and gives the impression it rattles a bit. Not a deal breaker but makes it feel cheap lol.

Lenkbron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
No I think it’s just tolerance issues with the side buttons hitting the internal button and gives the impression it rattles a bit. Not a deal breaker but makes it feel cheap lol.
That might be it. I preferred how the buttons on the previous Ultra were, almost silent but still nice to press.

I may check into my local Apple Store and to see what they say.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Can't hear crown button. Button under crown is pretty clicky and loud. Orange action button is a little quieter than the button the other side but a lot louder than my A7 buttons were but those had time to "break in".

Sounds similar to your your watch maybe a little quieter.

Considering when I use these buttons I usually just hit them once - doesn't bother me.

I got AppleCare+ - if anything happens it'll be getting replaced. The most expensive watch I've ever bought.

Lenkbron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
Ok, thanks for your input. It seems like it’s very common. The „loudest“ button is the least used on mine, so not the biggest issue. Another exchange might come with similar buttons and not be worth it.

jackief143

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2022
Ok, thanks for your input. It seems like it’s very common. The „loudest“ button is the least used on mine, so not the biggest issue. Another exchange might come with similar buttons and not be worth it.
My Apple Watch seems to have the same click issue with the action button …. Just wanted to ask if you checked with Apple guys , unsure if this has to be replaced …

jackief143

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2022
Mine is the same. It's a small metal button surrounded by rubber that makes contact with another button inside the watch. If I lightly tap it I can hear it hitting the button inside. Pressing it all the way is fine. They could have done a little better with the tolerances but it is what it is.
Mine as well if I touch the action button, I can hear the click before I actually press it , not sure if this is an issue or it is how it works ……

Last edited:

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Mine as well if I touch the action button, I can hear the click before I actually press it , not sure if this is an issue or it is how it works ……
Exactly. It's like if you slightly tap it and not push it, it makes a slight rattle. I think its separate from the button it hits inside. Might be more trouble than it's worth to have apple ship a replacement or deal with the genius bar as many may do the same thing. More of a slight bad design annoyance then a defect. Small 1st world problem lol.

jackief143

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2022
Exactly. It's like if you slightly tap it and not push it, it makes a slight rattle. I think its separate from the button it hits inside. Might be more trouble than it's worth to have apple ship a replacement or deal with the genius bar as many may do the same thing. More of a slight bad design annoyance then a defect. Small 1st world problem lol.
Just gt my unit replaced from Apple Store no issue with this one …… checked with almost 5 out of 6 Demo watches doesn’t have those issue…

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Unfortunately, if there is any background noise it's hard to hear. I can't even hear mine make the noise in the Apple store so it will be hard to convince a genius it happens.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Wait so Apple exchanged the whole watch because of an issue with your band? Is this a common thing they do?

jackief143

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2022
Unfortunately, if there is any background noise it's hard to hear. I can't even hear mine make the noise in the Apple store so it will be hard to convince a genius it happens.
If this purchase is within 2 week, you have the all rights for replacement or return. Or Apple care + would work as well

jackief143

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2022
Wait so Apple exchanged the whole watch because of an issue with your band? Is this a common thing they do?
The issue is with the action button but they offered me if I would like to go for a different band during the exchange process

Lenkbron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
I kept my Ultra, i have the loud clicking Action Button as seen in the video at the top, but it works as intended. It’s also not like others mentioned here, that there is a „rattle“ or something like that if you only tap it. It only clicks if you really press it. I would like it to be less prominent, but didn’t want to exchange it a second time.

Jenicekk69

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2022
I have the opposite problem, my action button makes almost no sound. The main power buton button has a nice clicky sound, the crown does not make any sound, and the AB also makes no sound....

Lenkbron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
On my first Ultra the Action Button was also silent, i personally would prefer this over the clicky one i got now, which sounds a little bit cheap in my opinion.
But there seem to be different preferences out there, so maybe Apple should label the Watches so everyone gets what he wants 😁

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I got my ultra 2 a few days ago, and every button is silent except for the crown which makes a clicking noise. It’s louder than my s7 for sure. Not sure if it’s normal or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.