How close to "final" do you think DP4 is?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by WeegieMac, Jun 22, 2011.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Well, it's a week until July but we're still waiting on the Gold Master release, but how much more do you guys think is left to be done?

I've noticed that if leaving my iMac running all day for general use (Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, etc) it becomes incredibly bogged down to the extent where it's slow and unresponsive. I ran iFreeMem and was shocked to see so little free RAM, so checked Activity Monitor and seen Safari and Safari Web Content using over 350mb EACH.

A reboot clears things out, but soon enough things begin to get bogged down and even now half an hour after a reboot, I've got three tabs open in Safari and the aforementioned programs are sitting at 123mb and 202mb respectively.

Hopefully the final version of Lion has far better RAM management than DP4.

2. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

I think as soon as we see a GM, Lion will appear in the App Store within a few days. No need to package and distribute boxed copies.

I'm sure there are a couple of internal builds that are much more stable and less buggy than DP4 that just haven't been released.

3. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

I say it is fairly close. I've used buggier full releases than this.

I hope you have maxed out your RAM, because this is what you will see in the final release. Guaranteed. I harp on this a bit, but RAM is so insanely cheap nowadays if you haven't maxed out your computer fully you have no business complaining about performance.

4. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

While DP4 fixed a lot of nasty bugs from previous builds, it has also introduced some new ones. I say, they've got quite a lot of work to do before GM.

Plus, don't forget, Apple have until July 29th to release Lion. That's probably when it will be. We know them too well now, don't we? :rolleyes:

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Snow Leopard was released a few days before the month it was supposed to come out.