How come Android touch screens aren't as responsive as iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I tested out the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and another Samsung Android phone at Best Buy today and noticed the touch screen isn't as smooth as the iPhone. I know this cannot be attributed to the screen because I believe the iPad and Galaxy Tab uses similar technology.

With the iPad or the iPhone, if you touch the screen and start swiping, once you move it a few millimeters, the screen starts to move with you. But with the Galaxy products, I found that I have to move my finger about an inch before the screen registers. This is the the only minor quibble I have that makes me not want to jump on Android devices.

Is it the iOS software that makes the touch more responsive? Or is it something else? I can't imagine it is due to hardware specs.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

From what you're describing it sounds like the differences are due to the different software.

3. bt2184 macrumors member

This also bugs me. I have a 3 yr old ipod touch (2nd gen) and a newer LG Android. My ipod is 10x more responsive and reliable than my Android with much less horse power. At least once a day my phone just doesn't respond at all to my swipes to unlock. Very annoying even if just for a second, which has me just itching to get an iPhone when my contract is up.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

5. 314631 macrumors 6502a

I imagine it's a combination of hardware and software talking to each other. If it was just a simple software issue I'm sure Android developers would have figured it out by now. But there are so many potential combinations of different hardware running the software, it's impossible to test against all of it, and ensure that perfect Apple experience.

6. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

One of the main reasons I want an iPhone. After all these years, no one else is still up to par in touchscreen responsiveness/fluidity.

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

...because Apple doesn't make the screens for Android devices.