How come Apple doesn't verify purchases in Educational Store?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by definitive, Mar 21, 2010.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Can't anyone just go in there, say they go to a certain school and get the discount without any proof?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I believe they do random spot checks, if not requiring a photocopy of an id to be mailed to them in all cases.

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

they audit a percentage of online education store sales and at the retail stores the employees usually ask for a school ID....if you get audited and you don't provide proof of your student status then they'll charge you the difference between the student price and the regular price

4. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

No.

They sporadically check without you knowing. If their search does not turn your name up, you are faced with fines.

Edit: Like posted above.

5. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

how come they don't check every sale though? it sounds a bit shady to check randoms, because some of those sales most likely aren't even to college students. can't they implement a system that would require a .edu email or require a copy of school id?

6. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

The same reason they don't require activation on all Mac OS X licenses:

Because they aren't Microsoft.

7. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

not sure if serious...

8. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I've often wondered this myself. Seeing as I once bought a MBP on the educational site of our local university, even though I was not attending. No verification required.

9. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

But seriously, it's cause they don't care if you stole the software, but rather that you are using it. (Not that they wouldn't be pissed off that they aren't making money, they just figure, why piss off regular users with activation when a small percentage will pirate no matter what the activation is.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Because Apple trusts that you will tell the truth.

I don't know why this is a problem?

11. ethical macrumors 68000

You're right. They just like to be liked. Two thumbs up for Apple for making software and not caring about money....only caring about whether or not we use it. Now that's what I call putting the customer first.

The reason they don't use serial codes etc is because to use the software you have to first buy one of their computers. Sure, there are Hackintoshes, but Mr. average Joe Bloggs cant build a hackintosh easily (and cheaply) enough to bother.

You can't compare the lack of serial codes to the lack of enforcement on the Education site. Two completely different things.

I've never bought anything on the Education site, but I'm pretty surprised you don't need to provide some sort of education email address, or student card when in store. Surely it would be so easy to implement?

Yeah, sure they do.

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Mock my words all you want, but what other answer is there? You say so yourself:

If it's so easy to implement, why don't they do it? You know that people are abusing the system. Which either means they trust that people will tell the truth when they apply for the savings, or that they simply don't care. (You're right that, in the end, if it means another Apple user, they win either way.)

It's like your community food bank, they trust that only people who are needy will go pick up a food basket, but nothing stops anyone from grabbing free food, even those who can well afford it.

13. No1451 macrumors 6502

It would stand to reason that they do random audits.

To anyone saying they are just a great company that doesn't care about profits, welcome to the real world: the only reason they try to push that image is because they LOVE our money and want us to keep buying. Profit drives companies, good customer service is just a method to that end.

14. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

YES THEY NEED VERIFICATION!!!!!!!!When I got my macbook in 2008, they needed my college e-mail

Your e-mail had to start with "blank@.edu"

mines was like efkwbjek @ uci. edu

and if you didn't have a college ID stating your college, apple would require an e-mail but the e-mail must end with a @edu

15. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

They checked my brother.

He had to email a copy of his student ID. I think from his student email address.

Could have been 'cause my mum ordered the mac and paid for it with her credit card although obviously the machine is primarily for my brother's use *cough*

16. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I can see not requiring a .edu e-mail address. As not all colleges provide you with one. Neither the community colleges I went to nor the University I went to provided an e-mail address for me. Though some may have changed by now.

17. ethical macrumors 68000

Maybe there's some mystical business reason, like Apple getting something for selling items through the education store? Who knows.

I'll send Stevie a quick email and see what's going down.